Grooveshark is gone

[Permalink]

Grooveshark was just so easy to use. Can anyone recommend an HTML5 media library+player replacement with access to thousands of popular and not-so-popular tracks?

I’ll have to update my Netscape Navigator bookmarks.

4 Likes

Music industry Rule #1: Shut down anyone who attempts to give listeners what they want.

Rule #2: If Rule #1 fails, see Rule #1.

5 Likes

So sad. It was a viable replacement for seeqpod.

I’m frankly surprised it lasted as long as it did. I flirted with music streaming, briefly (before giving up and just getting a big micro-sd card for my phone, and storing all my music right on the device), and I was baffled that Grooveshark was allowed to run unfettered for so long.

1 Like

It wasn’t a mistake, that was just something they had to say as part of the settlement.

The plan was -> stream music well and not worry about rights -> get bought by someone who has enough clout to make the deals. Like youtube did. That was the business plan. They just didn’t get to that second step, but it was worth a shot.

10 Likes

Yeah, it’s not Grooveshark’s place to rip off music artists. That’s the job of the recording industry.

15 Likes

If you love music and respect the artists, songwriters and everyone else who makes great music possible, use a licensed service that compensates artists and other rights holders.

Hmm, and who might that “everyone else” be? Do you suppose Grooveshark was sued into oblivion by songwriters? Or could it have been by people who have never in their lives played an F-sharp?

6 Likes

RIAA parses Grooveshark connection logs and files lawsuits in 3, 2, 1…

1 Like

I hate that meme with the fire of a thousand suns, but in this case maybe you’re right, and won’t that be exciting?

If you would like to try out plug.dj I’d be curious to hear your thoughts. It’s essentially people-powered music, sharing and discovering music/videos in a real-time chat room where each person is represented by an avatar.

We even have a grooving shark! :wink:

Full disclosure: I am one of the founders. Your feedback is welcome.

P.S. We don’t yet have a mobile app, but hope to provide one soon, so for now limited to laptop/desktop.

1 Like

Why are you quoting someone else, in a reply to me? Rant all you want, but at least rant at the right person.

(I was quoting the original article, in support of your point.)

Corporate shill Thomas Griesa, sticking it to the people once again.

2 Likes

Spotify was close, but seems to be backsliding with its popularity rising. I still haven’t found something similar with a good enough classical selection. [It made me laugh that Rdio’s “Medieval” channel under their classical section was mostly playing heavy Metal]

Spotify is no option for me because it’s not available in countries that are not named USA (or at least, not in my country). Same problem with Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, and the rest…

You can tell from his name/comment history that he’s talking about India, where all of the ones he mentioned are not available. It does appear that Rdio and a selection of video streaming services are available though.

http://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-movie-streaming-video-service-like-Netflix-in-India

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.