Groundhog day for a black man

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/17/groundhog-day-for-black-men.html

14 Likes

Humorous and very poignant.

11 Likes

“You got an APB out for a grilled cheese!?” :joy:

12 Likes

Good Stuff!
I fully expected a swat team to do a no knock warrant for missing work at the end.

1 Like

Funny, yet depressingly accurate.

On a side note, my wife and I are subscribers to our local theater group and they recently staged a production of a new play called “Twenty50” - ostensibly about racial politics and assimilation in the year 2050 when Latinos are now majority-minority.

Besides exploring the aspects of losing one’s racial identity and heritage, one character, Monty - a black man working on the protagonist’s farm - hits a poignant note at the end. I forget the exact lines but the gist was something like - “For everyone else, the world evolves. Except for the black man, everything stays the same.” A powerful reminder that equality does not happen everyone equally.

Monty gets into this in a scene close to the end of the play, indicating to Andy outright his bitterness about where things stand. Colorism is as real as racism, and more insidious since, unlike Andy, no one will ever take him for any flavor of “white.” If that is truly the ticket to reaching any level of the American dream, Monty suggests, he and his family will always be on the outside looking in.

10 Likes

Saw that awhile back; sadly, it’s still totally relevant.

9 Likes

The truth in this hurts my soul.

1 Like

“rough day”?

2 Likes

Ouuuuuucccchhhhh.

By the way, Burl Moseley was also great in “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend”:

3 Likes

Jordan Peele’s Twilight Zone takes this same idea and runs with it

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.