Guccifer 2.0 identified as Russian intelligence officer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/24/guccifer-2-0-identified-as-rus.html

3 Likes

tumblr_n9x51hPBmg1qklx3fo1_500

4 Likes

No evidence, no names, just anonymous sources within the US intelligence apparatus? Sounds about right. Again, why should I take the word of the people who lied us into a decade of war at face value?

1 Like

Are you blaming US intelligence for the Iraq war? Jesus, do some reading.

26 Likes

Yeah, I’m going to trust the word of Julian Assange that Guccifer 2.0 definitely wasn’t Russian intelligence. /s

Using Guccifer was quite clever. I mean, if they’d used GRUccifer, people might have suspected.

17 Likes

are you as 100% clear today as you were yesterday, as to who that was?

1 Like

I thought the intelligence community was essentially against the Iraq War, and it was the Bush II administration who essentially vetoed their findings, and pushed us into war.

13 Likes
1 Like

Also - enjoying the full English breakfast in front of the fire. Cheers!

3 Likes

he left a real, Moscow-based Internet Protocol address in the server logs of an American social media company

Sounds reasonable. They could get that without much of a problem, and the social media companies wouldn’t be allowed to talk about it.

Working off the IP address, U.S. investigators identified Guccifer 2.0 as a particular GRU officer working out of the agency’s headquarters on Grizodubovoy Street in Moscow.

Okay, that is a lot more specific than whois or traceroute will tell you. :hushed: Assuming that American intelligence has been mapping out the Russian Internet, that seems reasonable too, and no they aren’t going to talk about what they know or how. (sigh, I’d love to check my logs for that IPA block.)

So, they aren’t giving out stuff that makes sense not to give out, and if they did, the conspiracy thinkers would up their ante by claiming that the social media company faked it or that the IP address doesn’t lead to Grizodubovoy Street.

8 Likes

The Committee’s nine Republicans and eight Democrats agreed on the report’s major conclusions and unanimously endorsed its findings. They disagreed, though, on the impact that statements on Iraq by senior members of the Bush administration had on the intelligence process. The second phase of the investigation, addressing the way senior policymakers used the intelligence, was published on May 25, 2007. Portions of the phase II report not released at that time include the review of public statements by U.S. government leaders prior to the war, and the assessment of the activities of Douglas Feith and the Pentagon’s Office of Special Plans.

4 Likes

Did you read the article you linked to?

It specifically states that there was a disagreement between the Dems and Reps about whether it was the intelligence committee that was at fault or if the Bush administration was fixated on Iraq and pushed intelligence agencies to make snap judgments or ignored the intelligence reports full implications.

Your claims seem to indicate you agree with the Reps and exonerate the administration.

I’d be curious to hear how you came to that conclusion.

8 Likes

And now, follow the dots

5 Likes

Impossible! Julian Assange assured us it was definitely not the Russians!

Welp—I guess we have to keep looking.

8 Likes

Their take on the Daily Beast article:

Shouldn’t that be “oopsec fail”?

Mueller has reportedly incorporated the Guccifer 2.0 investigation into his probe, and FBI investigators who have been working the Guccifer 2.0 case have joined the special counsel’s team.

The Katamari Damacy of investigations.

9 Likes

My money is still on the 400-pound guy in New Jersey.

7 Likes

I haven’t even been following the news about Watchucallistan!

2 Likes

The DB isn’t even that specific about it’s source: