Guide to weird movies

Apt choice of avatar; the Cabinet of Dr Caligari was a hella weird film.

:slight_smile:

8 Likes

Here’s a thing;

1 Like

Yeah I was disappointed with this Kaufman film as well. For a moment when the main character went to visit the hotel manager in the basement I thought the film could be going somewhere completely off the rails (in a good way)… But no. Another self-indulgent story about a mid-aged white man having a real hum-dinger of a day… Only this one was worse than normal because he uses his privilege to fuck with emotionally damaged women and it’s played like some kind of touching love story. Go back and watch the trailer to see what a load of shit they were selling.

2 Likes

That reminds me… has anyone here seen The Abominable Dr. Phibes? Because that movie is wtf-ery at it’s best. It stars Vincent Price fyi.

5 Likes

Yeah i kept expecting the movie to be a slow burn and then go somewhere great. And there’s a tiny tiny hint of that but it’s so unsatisfying that it doesn’t go there. It’s just… mundane.

Very cool. Even better (I think) is Price’s Theatre of Blood, in which he plays ham actor Edward Lionheart, who kills off his critics in various macabre ways derived from Shakespeare’s plays.

6 Likes

The ‘Greg the Bunny Show’ did an incredibly funny send-up of ‘Blue Velvet’ wherein Warren the Ape plays Dennis Hopper’s character. Too hilarious to describe! Worth looking up!!

1 Like

Drop light, please.

2 Likes

Sad that Black Swan was there but not the original anime Perfect Blue

Glad Paprika (same director) was tho.

That’s really a good list. I was a bit surprised at the proportion of them I have seen.

I appreciate the discernment that identifies Evil Dead II as the specific Evil Dead movie which belongs on the list and nails it as to why.

OTOH, there are a few glaring omissions I know of. ‘Mesa of Lost Women’ absolutely belongs on that list. I really enjoy that movie’s complete disjointedness.

1 Like

On the subject of weird films and cinema obscura, I’d thoroughly recommend tracking down a copy of Jonathan Ross’ Incredibly Strange Film Book and giving it a read.

Glad that Hausu is on there (this film needs more people to watch it, was really happy that when I was in NYC last Nov wearing my Hausu cat face tshirt a couple of guys recognised it and cheered my choice in clothing!), that film and Paprika just screw with your concept of reality so much.

4 Likes

Not entirety off topic. The Scissor Sisters at the 2005 Brit awards. I had not seen it until I came across it last night.

I would accept that term too. :bulb:

2 Likes

Lot of David Lynch films on that list.

Weird.

4 Likes

“Parents” is missing from the list. I’ve landed myself in trouble a couple of times by recommending it as a comedy. Such an under rated classic. Stellar performance from Randy Quaid. One of those just-because-the main-character-is-a-child-doesn’t-mean-this-movie-should-be-watched-by-children things.

2 Likes

I just thought about another crappy weird movie, looked it up and Randy Quaid is in it too. Huh, Anyway, Freaked is fucking strange

3 Likes

I feel kind of sad because I just realized I’ve reached the point in life where “weird” is not a trait that I look for in a movie. Predictable, no. Interesting, yes. Weird, no.

Once, at a sparsely attended comic book convention, I met the amazing Don Rosa. You should know who Don Rosa is. There wasn’t much going on, so he and I spontaneously bonded over our mutual love for “The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T,” which is another indelible piece of media that everyone should know about.

“Is it Atomic?”

“Yes, sir, VERY Atomic!”

This movie sank deeply into my young subconscious and paved the way for my adolescent appreciation of Jodorowsky and Bunuel. Foist it upon your weird kids today!

2 Likes

Well there went 4 hours of my day, thank you very much!

1 Like

One of my absolute favourites yet nobody i speak to seems to know it exists let alone seen it. Keanu’s best role for me…

6 Likes