Guide to weird movies

Glad that The Apple made the list. It’s odd enough that I was never sure if it was supposed to be serious. It’s hard to tell with musicals.

For added fun, the fine folks at Rifftrax have riffed this one and made it available for purchase. It is one of my favorites in the entire Rifftrax library to date.

Oh, and Death Bed! Hard to find, but seekers will be rewarded with all of the excitement you’d expect from a bed that slowly digests the people that sleep on it.

1 Like

“But, like running a sonnet through a grammar checker, figuring out precisely what is real and what is fantasy in if… misses the point.”

Nice.

1 Like

I’ve heard of this movie! But i cant remember from where. I think a friend was telling me about it years ago over some drinks. I may have to find it

FWIW, I saw it twice at the theatre, rising the wrath of fanboys by laughing at the obviously funny bits (there’s audio of Dick reading the same parts and chuckling to himself, after all).

I have the DVD as well. Definitely my favourite Keanu performance, and my favourite Linklater too.

2 Likes

I’ve yet to see The Apple, but i’m pretty aware of it. Have you seen Phantom of the Paradise? It’s a strange Phantom of the Opera set in modern times at a disco club of sorts.

2 Likes

Are they crazy? Of course there are some intentionally funny bits, like the discussion they have about the missing gears on the bicycle when loaded.

3 Likes

One of my Dad’s favorite jokes is to refer to himself as being “Swavy and Deboner”. He’s laughed at that all my life.

366 Weird Movies gets my vote: They’ve got Gummo, which is definitely in the “weird”, if not “unsettling”, category.

2 Likes

While it sounds pretentious, the movie being rotoscoped by hand (yes with drawing tablets on computer, but still by hand) is a god damn achievement in an of itself. Especially considering the talent attached to it and how damn trippy the movie is. I don’t know how the movie got made but i’m glad it exists.

6 Likes

Anyway, Thanks, Rob. I’ve seen a bunch of these, but now I’m going to spend the rest of the year trying to locate the rest of them. Fortunately, some of the out-of-circulation ones (like After Last Season) can be found in their entirety on YouTube.

A pretty large fraction of those movies are completely and unambiguously mainstream. Kubrick, Fellini, Polanski et al might seem weird to someone who grew up on 1950s Westerns, but they define the mainstream.

I estimate I’ve seen around 2/3 of the movies on the list, and mostly this was in theaters (and not in NYC or LA).

5 Likes

(Instead of rewatching, why not read the book?)

1 Like

Already have like 8 books i’ve bought and not read :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope Ross had to fork over some monies to the Re/Search publishers for stealing their title.

Hundreds of weird films, and yet not a single mention of The Doom Generation? That was quite surprising.

Pleasantly surprised to see The Ruling Class made the list. That movie summed up everything I think about the Christian right.

IMO the best film adaptation of Dick in terms of fidelity to the overall tone and experience of the original book.

3 Likes

Probably the film adaption that got closest to dicks original story. My two cents.

1 Like

Beat me to it well done.

Blue Velvet was what first got me listening to Roy Orbison, and I don’t know if I would ever have been able to appreciate Roy Orbison’s inherent creepyness had I listened to his stuff before.

One of the best movie scenes ever.

3 Likes