Guillotine watch: LAX's new one-percenter luxury terminal -- UPDATED with veiled legal threats!, AND MORE LEGAL THREATS!

We got one of those small airports around here. Suburbs have grown up around it. Some months ago, some guy crashed his plane into someone’s house and killed 3 people in the house.

2 Likes

I think they may describe us as the lumpenproletariat; sounds more degrading.

5 Likes

I don’t want it to go away. It’s an important feature of Markdown

3 Likes

OK, but people can spend money how they want. They don’t need my permission, and I don’t need theirs.

Yes, air travel is so terrible. I really hate having to stand in line for a few minutes and then being able to fly halfway around the world in 12 hours. Truly, the struggle of our time.

2 Likes

If they hadn’t built their little viewer to watch everyone else, I probably would have minimal concern. That monitor makes it fair game to burn down in my book.

8 Likes

Could probably do better in any of the $1000/meal restaurants in NY or LA. I have probably read too much SF, I can think of so many cool biochemical ways to wipe out an entire class of people who patronize certain establishments, products, & services. Much more effective than the guillotine, even the Nazis found mass murder to be tiresome work.

You miss the point that it’s just gratuitously nasty. I can think of many ways to make boarding and deplaning less barbaric, without costing money, just a little effort at customer comfort. And charging people for water really should be illegal, dehydration from ultra-dry cabin air is a real health risk.

3 Likes

I don’t think the wealthy have a markedly higher a fraction of assholes than any other socioeconomic class, though of course they have more ways of expressing their assholeness and are more visible when they do it. For that reason I think that the viewscreen over the misery of others will not work as intended. The occasional Martin Shkreli might watch this with glee, but I think a Susan Sarandon or an Alec Baldwin or a Bill Gates looking at the screen will empathize with the hoi polloi, and in the latter case might even try to come up with a solution.

2 Likes

CARTIER (France)
Title : ‘ECLIPSE’ OR ‘GUILLOTINE’ PURSE WATCH
Date : 1929

2 Likes

I ws just thinking the same about them

For rhetorical purposes, Marx identifies Louis Napoleon himself as being like a member of the lumpenproletariat insofar as, being a member of the finance aristocracy, he has no direct interest in productive enterprises. This is a rhetorical flourish, however, which equates the lumpenproletariat, the rentier class, and the apex of class society as equivalent members of the class of those with no role in useful production.

4 Likes

Surely you couldn’t possibly be speaking ill of the, um, impeccable record of stewardship and integrity that is “Public/Private partnerships”? Those always work because they are a win/win; not because you can get politicians to sell the public down the river for some modest savings upfront and a few sweet nothings about small government and the efficiency of the private sector!

6 Likes

I might hope that would be the case, but in the meantime, i’m hoping for someone to hack the CC monitor and insert an endless feed of commercials.

5 Likes

Perhaps you intended this reply for someone else?

3 Likes

I don’t know what airlines you fly, but I’ve never been charged for water.

Nice that you’re so concerned what others think of you, and willing to commit arson over it.

2 Likes

No, it was meant for you, because you were complaining about how people aren’t treated decently.

So expressing an opinion about how people are often mistreated entitles one to be needlessly snide while not really adding anything to advance the conversation; got it.

11 Likes

Oh, I apologize. Perhaps I wrote my comment too succinct. Let me explain what I was trying to say because apparently you didn’t get it.

My comment in no way complained about the ability to travel around the world. I think global travel is actually a good thing, and should be done more often.

I was expressing an opinion against the ability of people with money being able to buy respect from fawning syncophants. Because, and I’m sure you would agree, having a large amount of money does not make people more worthy of kindness and regard.

Or, in other words,

21 Likes

They should add in-app microtransactions. Well, micro for the ultra wealthy. Some poor schmuck look like he could do with extra hassling at the gate just for a laugh? $1000 and he’ll be bending over and coughing in no time!

1 Like

No, I wouldn’t want this. BMWs are just so common nowadays. I’ll think about it when it’s a Maybach.

3 Likes

In Catholic doctrine, the blessed in Heaven get the advantage that they can look down into Hell to see the torments of the damned. In Randia, blessed are the rich for they shall inherit the Earth. So it’s perfectly consistent with Catho-Randian philosophy.

Dante was sufficiently against this idea to create a world-picture in which half the Earth and Mount Purgatory lies between Hell and Heaven, thus making this view of things impossible. But he knew something that today’s rich don’t:

per ch’una gente impera e l’altra langue
seguendo lo guidicio de costei
che e occulto come in erba l’angue.

(One people rules and the other languishes according to the judgement of that one which is hidden like a snake in the grass).
‘costei’ of course is the unnameable green eyed goddess with the dice.

7 Likes

This is for the elite who doesn’t wanna feel guilty for doing environmental damage from taking a private flight by taking commercial to fly out to a country to go negotiate a shady deforestation deal in person.

Progress???

3 Likes