Guitars reportedly cool again

Ahh, the infamous banjolele. Fastest way to lose a valet.

6 Likes

Aaaaaahhhhh…wheeeeee. Now going down the Frank Turner rabbit-hole.

1 Like

Is “guitar-driven rock band” a polite euphemism for ska?

2 Likes

Noodles…mmmmmm

3 Likes

I actually barked out a big laugh. Thank you.

4 Likes

Oh there’s so much great new angry music available now! 2019 was a bumper crop.

1. “I Am Tense & Need to Sublimate It”-level angry: Red Fang, Kyuss, Kylesa, Elder, Baroness, Chelsea Wolfe

2. “I Am Defiant & Need an Anthem”-level angry: Run the Jewels, Obliterations, Baptists, Limp Wrist, ho99o9, Author & Punisher

3. “I Passed Pissed 5km Back”-level angry: Primitive Man, Fister, Amenra, Sumac, Mortiferum, and a personal fave All Pigs Must Die

4. “Stoned, Distractible, & Disillusioned”-level angry: Sleep, OM, Earth

5. “Angry Grieving”: Bell Witch, YOB, Pallbearer, Obscure Sphinx, Bismuth

2 Likes

Hey, I have a banjolele. But I also don’t have a valet, so maybe you’re onto something.

4 Likes

This topic does pop up regularly if infrequently. I recall reading some article in the 90s that claimed REM was responsible for saving guitar based rock. shrug.

What would be news is if the saxophone made a comeback in pop/rock. Seeing it pop up in 70s and 80s stuff these days it really stands out as a thing of its time.

51cUH+Qr7TL.AC_SY445

3 Likes

Rhiannon Giddens is a banjo god. Srsly.

This guy is not too shabby either:

4 Likes

If this actually becomes a product I might get one to piss off guitar purists who are already pissed about the signature ukulele.

1 Like

I have a bagpipelele and have no friends

6 Likes

Hey, this is all well and good, but the real question is, how many strings does it have?

2 Likes

What’s good music to accompany the sensation of choice paralysis from too much new music becoming available?

1 Like

Clawhammer Banjo?

Doesn’t one take one’s claw hammer and smash the banjo into tiny, tiny pieces.

The Society for the Promotion of Tuneful Music. /s

1 Like

try out some different Gretsch models

i absolutely love the way my electromatic looks and feels, and i would like so much for it to be my “primary” guitar, but gosh darn it will not stay in tune long enough to get to a chorus.

1 Like

everyone knows “signature” guitars are gimmicky trash and no serious musician would deign to play one.

not my bob weir deangelico, though. that’s different.

2 Likes

They tried that one about four hundred years ago.

4 Likes

There’s a lot to love about that.

Never not cool.