Playin’ Da Musicz

Music is great!

As the recently deceased Steve Albini said: now is the greatest time ever to be a lover of music. We can listen to anything.

I also think it’s a great time to play music. All sorts of secrets are now just out there on the internet.

So I thought a thread about making music and celebrating how wonderful it is should be here. It’s joy in life. We should support each other in finding that joy. This thread is for anyone wanting to play (singing is playing), wanting to learn, returning , starting, and elders to share their wisdom and support.

Have at it! Making music is awesome!
@danimagoo inspired this thread. Drummers are the real musicians. Most famous musicians I have met happened when we were both geeking out on drummers.

15 Likes

For all you singers out there this seems exciting. Use your watch as a midi controller for your vocal effects unit.

Yes it might be useful for other instruments and there are other haptic choices out there but a consumer product and singing sounds great to me.

On my list.

8 Likes

I still have to set up the cymbals, but I have my first drum set!

17 Likes

Fantastic idea! Thanks for starting this!

7 Likes

I mentioned elsewhere that i have taken up my recorder again. So i thought i would post the ones i am playing most often.

These are my C set, greatbass, tenor, soprano and garklein. The big one is a contrabass in F. I have the rest of the F recorders, but the contra is the most fun, so it gets the most attention.

18 Likes

Now you should go open for Andre 3000!

8 Likes

This year I finally started taking Hurdy Gurdy Classes. I wanted to do it during the pandemic but was difficult to source an instrument: I half assembled a Nerdy Gurdy but finally ended up buying one from a local luthier.

And the half-aseembled nerdy (gosh, it’s been three years already?)

Posting recorded sounds would constitute a audition hazard so won’t do it until I get more proficient :smiley:

That contrabass recorder looks awesome! Is there any particular reason why it is so… square-ish? :slight_smile:

14 Likes

It’s a Paetzold, mostly because there is no way in hell i could afford a conventional contra. It’s made of plywood and plays really nicely. I actually found it on Ebay years ago, shipped from Australia, for a small fraction of what they cost new.

Paetzold by Kunath | Lazar's Early Music.

11 Likes

Oh! It’s so pretty! I love Hurdy-gurdys!

6 Likes

Wow! Some of those remind me of EWIs, rather than something on which one would play early music.

4 Likes

EWI? Help me here…

2 Likes

Looks like this, according to my Googling:

7 Likes

It’s the square bore. But i havent kept up with these in a while so I’m remembering the older ones. For example…

9 Likes

Was in town looking at drum kits with the kiddo but I have a new crush now.

11 Likes

On the left is my headless fret-less daily driver, in the middle is the electro cello I’m working on and on the right is the body for a fretted version of the left guitar.

10 Likes

Wow! Any chance of an audio sample of your daily driver? Or a link to someone playing something similar on the web?

2 Likes

Ok cymbals are set up and we have playable drums! I think I need to make some setup adjustments, but that will be the subject of my next lesson.

11 Likes

Do you have any thoughts on drum mufflers?

We are looking at an acoustic drum kit in our garage and it would be too noisy, but the kid really loves a real kit and has some money.

I was at a gig the other night (Jane Weaver) and the drummer was putting cloths on the drums for some of the songs. Don’t think what he had would work for our garage.

2 Likes

I literally had my first ever drum lesson like 8 weeks ago, so I don’t even know what drum mufflers are. I do think I need to get some ear protection, though. When I sat down to play a little right after taking that picture, my Apple Watch informed me that the noise levels were high enough to be concerning. Hard floors, as you can see. My drum teacher has an actually studio with noise absorbing material on the walls, so…that’s never happened during a lesson. Home may be a different matter. I don’t want to get hearing damage from learning to play the drums.

6 Likes

See, i don’t ever have to worry about that with my recorders! :grin:

5 Likes