Playin’ Da Musicz

The recorder probably didn’t take about 3 hours to put together and setup, either, I’m guessing. On the other hand, you probably shouldn’t whack the recorder with a wooden stick repeatedly just about as hard as you want to for an hour or more. And I don’t know if I can express how fun that is.

6 Likes

Don’t forget that it’s on your wrist. It’s been known to buzz at me when I’m unloading the dishwasher!

I’ll be talking to the drum teacher about them this week and I’ll report back. I saw a link to an American site selling some for cheap.

His are just loose blanket type things but what I’m talking about are fitted.

6 Likes

I have tile floors. The drums are making much more noise than they do in my teacher’s studio. But yes, please let me know about the mufflers. My dogs, I think, might appreciate it as well.

5 Likes

I’d suggest setting the half-toms to the same height and tilting them more towards you. Also if the bass drum has those spiky feet you may want to put a mat or something underneath them to keep them from scratching or tearing up your floor.

Can’t help with the noise; I’ve spent a goodly chunk of my life standing in front of drums, amps, and PAs, and I like to play loud. My hearing is okay, but that may just be me.

Rock on! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There it is. You drummers always pretend to be real musicians and act insulted when we mock you but the truth is you all just like hitting things with sticks!

Loop Drumming GIF

6 Likes

Yeah, I think there are several adjustments I need to make. Thanks. The feet on the base drum has spikes, but they’re retractable, so right now, it’s just rubber touching the floor. Once I determine a permanent location for the drums (probably my office, but I need to do some rearranging) I plan to put a rug under the whole thing. Then, I’ll extend the spikes on the base drum feet.

4 Likes

Very nice. :heart_eyes:

Is that a Gibson perchance?

My PRS SE Hollowbody:

5 Likes

Very nice. If I buy another guitar, it will probably be a PRS. I’m quite happy with my Strats, so I have no plans to buy anything else, but if I do…it will be a PRS.

3 Likes

It’s a really fun guitar to play. I’ve got an American Deluxe too, which I love, but the Humbuckers make for a nice change for some tunes, and it’s a lot lighter.

3 Likes

It’s an Epiphone copy of a Gibson ES 335. So it’s about €3,500 cheaper than the equivalent Gibson!

5 Likes

Okay, I just upgraded to the new version of Logic, and am really impressed with the new bass and keyboard “AI” instruments. On their own, they’re decent enough, but once you start swapping out voices… I created a pretty complex piano part and then changed it to a string section and it’s kind of amazing. I’m seeing a lot of potential to create textural stuff under my usual guitar heavy tracks.

You can get professionally priced drum muffles at the music store, but my buddy with the masters in music education and 30 years of gigging and session work uses towels from Walmart. Make of that what you will.

My advice is a rug under the kit, and a heavy cloth over that wall where the mirror is. For my studio, I got a nice curtain rod and brackets, and used them to hang a decorative tapestry backed with one of those padded blankets they sell at the UHaul store. It’s surprising how much a couple of those will do. I also made some panels from foamcore, cotton batting, and felt affixed with spray adhesive- I did 18" squares in 2 colors and hung them in a nice pattern.

Seriously, there’s a PhD worth of nuance in just how to tune a room for sound, but a lot of it is just that 1) Hard, smooth surfaces reflect the sound and soft rough surfaces absorb it; and 2) Flat parallel surfaces create echoes. If you don’t want to study the physics, you can use a mix of hard and soft surfaces to get you 95% of the way there through pure dumb trial and error.

Also, there’s zero shame in using earplugs. They make really good ones now that let through all the right frequencies at safe levels. Just sayin’

5 Likes

Except if you live in a flat. There’s 100% shame in using earplugs and let the neighbouts deal with your constant stomping. Ask me how I know :smiling_face_with_tear:

(If you ask me how I deal with my hurdy’s own noise: I had to buy a set of soft strings, as there’s no particular way to dampen the sound of the instrument. Fortunately you only need a drone and a melody string, and my instrument allows for two drone sets and three melody strings, so I just sacrificed one of each for the practice set)

5 Likes

Well, I’m kind of a shy player and always say I play “with” the guitar not play the guitar. But, I’ll see what I can do on bandcamp or youtube.

The sound is more slide guitar and chords are really hard since it’s hard to get all the strings perfect, and maybe it’s just a guitar for me for the way I play since I learned how to play as a lefty on right-handed guitars and with the piano lessons as a kid, but, I can pretty much mimic the sound of the organ in “Whiter Shades of Pale” with this. And, well, with the right effects (I use guitarix) you can pretty much sound like anything. I’ve made a few of these (for family) and people who actually play guitar have a problem with the fret-less, that’s why I’m going to try with frets too.

3 Likes

Yeah no pressure at all. I really don’t want people to feel that in this thread.

That’s why I was wondering if you had a link to someone playing something similar. I was thinking of single notes and possibly partial chords and the odd multi note slide. The vibrato would be interesting, and difficult for a steel string guitar player.
A real challenge to move between anyway!

1 Like

No quality guarantees (I mean it’s right there in the name), I’ll try and start throwing stuff up once a day:

1 Like

I just discovered something the other day; electronic bagpipes!

https://blairbagpipes.com/blair-digital-chanter/

Uriah Heep makes use of one in this:

1 Like

yeah! In Spain Hevia was very famous for using one. A very talented bagpiper, he was unfortunately diagnosed wih asthma and he was discouraged to keep playing, so he basically reached some friends to develop what would be the first 100% digital MIDI bagpipe (there were some before, but used analog circuitry).

Here’s a piece from his first album using the electronic bagpipe :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can’t really see what he’s playing but it sounds like an uileann pipe. There are Scottish and English equivalents though.

The bagpipe was a very trendy instrument in posh people’s houses in the 17th to 18th centuries. I have gone to chamber concerts of Bach on the uileann pipes.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s tough to make out but I suspected electronic bagpipes, which I had never heard of, and did a quick search to see if they were indeed a thing.

1 Like

That’s a real nice piece, thanks. His pipes sound awesome.

1 Like