Playin’ Da Musicz

I don’t enjoy music; I have musical anhedonia. I am also tone and beat deaf. But I enjoy making what my life partner calls ‘horrible noise.’

I really want this thing.

4 Likes

Me too!

Have you tried the virtual ANS? It might work for you. I remember liking those people’s field electro acoustic workstation when I read about it.

4 Likes

Mostly play around with VCV Rack 2 Free and when I can go to library to play with Eurorack.

I will try that some time.

4 Likes

Interesting. I know a kid who is for sure beat deaf and may also be tone deaf, but he loves music. He has tried desperately to learn to play various musical instruments throughout his childhood (including, painfully, the drums) without success. I may mention this device to his mother, at least once it’s actually available.

4 Likes

Check out the field kit from them:
https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=field-kit

These are truly the greatest times ever if you enjoy making electronic noise/music (I’m with John Cage on what music is) there are so many things there

Also: @vermes82 your library has Eurorack? Awesome! I’m about to go to the library to return the bass and amp my daughter borrowed a few months ago. We bought a bass to share last week.

It’s a short scale bass, a Jaguar, with upgraded fixings and stuff. It’s the nicest to play bass we tried.

6 Likes

Nearest to me, there isn’t one, but Helsinki Central Library Oodi has an Electronic Music Studio. Using it requires some luck, as it’s usually booked solid. Understandable for a place where you can play Moog One 8 for free.

https://tilavaraus.hel.fi/en/reservation-unit/193

They list everything in there.

The only thing missing IMHO is a some kind of a Buchla.

5 Likes

I recommend VCV Rack. It’s free but hard to use. That thing has over 3000 modules mostly free.

Tutorials:

Plateau by Valley is a magic plate reverb that makes almost any sound musical or at least ambient.

5 Likes

the 21st of this month I have my first course audition (basically the equivalent to exams in our music school, except there are no grades, but is worse because the whole academia is there to watch your team :smiley: )

I may post a video, beacuse I feel this semester we prepared a decent tune to play for the audition and so it may not sound like steping on a bag of cats.

5 Likes
5 Likes

I need this shirt

ETA: For the non-guitarists…those are the chords D, G, A, and F.

8 Likes

I’ve just recently started messing around with VCV Rack. I’ve avoided learning anything about euro rack hardware (beyond the 3 expert sleepers modules I have for MIDI clock sync) because I know I can’t possibly afford to get into it. So it’s been a very frustrating, then very interesting, and then very frustrating again, journey!

VCV Rack is a great way to try out stuff for free, but I feel like I run out of CPU just as fast as I would have run out of money in hardware. I need a newer computer.

If I can figure out a way to share video clips for free in the blog I’ll post some recording of patches.

4 Likes

There is a way to record video on VCV but I got better results with OBS.

4 Likes

As it was too big to upload here, here’s a link to my mastodon with the promised clip of our hurdy gurdy class playing:

Apologies in advance.

7 Likes

Bill And Ted 80S GIF by IFC

Sounds lovely!!!

5 Likes

@danimagoo

I disagree with a lot of that. He got some technical parts wrong too, I assume to make the story fit but it gave me pause.

I agree to some extent too. But mostly it’s disagree or with heavy caveats.

I’m just going to say one thing though. I’ve seen that suggested for me on YouTube all week and thought “nope, not interested “. If every time i was on YT to follow a chord melody tutorial for a bossa nova song I was recommended a Rick Beato video about odd time signatures I would have watched that. Voted with my feet as Rick says. But that’s not what the algorithm was pushing at me. It’s finally worked because I’ve watched it now but a breakdown of the time signatures in Solisbury Hill would have been far more fun. And I do watch one of his videos regularly when I’ve sat at my desk with my work guitar at lunchtime and now it’s time to eat. I like him best when he is saying what’s great and what’s interesting. I know we can’t all be positive all the time but to make a video about what’s wrong with music and not mention corporate greed, monopolies, algorithmic fraud, outright theft, and how the CEO of Britains biggest record company earns more than all the songwriters royalties in Britain *added together * is really working hard to miss the point.

Plus: the last time I followed a tutorial from him he swore “these are the original chords on the record not dumbed down”. They were not. And I knew it pretty straight away.

ETA sorry to be grumpy about the much loved Rick Beato but it was a pretty grumpy video I was responding too.

5 Likes

Lifelong guitar player, only fell in love with semi-hollows a few years ago though, and now I play nothing but. That kinda looks like an Artcore :blue_heart:

2 Likes

I recently discovered a couple printable instruments that say if properly printed sound good enough:
A rebec

An Ukelele

And finally, a mandolin

I am currently printing the rebec. Will ping back if it sounds any good :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Some pics:

5 Likes

I used this for some sizing
https://o-cello.com/

6 Likes

That looks super cool, like a cross. Between a double-handed sword and a cello. :star_struck:

3 Likes