Gun attack on anti-Islam event foiled

I am having a truly hard time parsing this one. Correct me if I am wrong, but can it be reduced to:

You pissed me off so I will piss you off then you piss me off which makes me piss you off more then you decide to really piss me off so I act offended and defensive and piss you off even more then we all die from gunfire?

Did I from that right? Is this the modern equivalent of a Kentucky feud?

4 Likes

So one out of a million shootings in Texas involves a couple of Muslims. Statistically speaking, it didnā€™t even happen.

5 Likes

A million shootings? Are you counting the Civil War and Mexican American War in that number? Haha.

4 Likes

Well I suppose phobia lite is better than simply demanding nuclear annihilation. You may be shocked to learn that, just as the vast majority of Christians condemn terrorism, so do the vast majority of Muslims. I have never met anybody, regardless of faith, who is pro-terror. Have you?

3 Likes

Met? No. But I see them on the news. One is a fringe element shunned by nearly everyone. One gets not-so-secret funding from people who will condemn them ā€œofficiallyā€.

Though it isnā€™t much of a problem in the west, despite a few isolated attacks, it is a serious problem in the Middle East.

3 Likes

Something does seem wrong when our police officers are indistinguishable from our military.

2 Likes

First, I want to call BS on this one, if I could, because there are 2 actual dead people here. Itā€™s just a little too convenient.
Since itā€™s likely a real thing itā€™s astoundingly stupid for the gunmenā€™s motives. Terrorism is instilling fear by killing innocents. The SPLC are serious nutjobs that could be considered combatants as far as rhetoric and propaganda are concerned. They would be the least useful target of terrorism.

What this looks like is gang warfare. Or as japhroaig suggested, a Kentucky feud.

No, the violence is reprehensible. And the constitution gives everyone in america the right to do stuff that offends other people. Conveniently those same constitutional rights gives me the privilege to call out everyone involved in that ā€œart contestā€ for being colossal shitbags.

We all have a social obligation to not be assholes to each other ā€œjust because we can.ā€ Thatā€™s like day one kindergarten level instruction.

5 Likes

Make it a black Jesus tooā€¦ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I never said theyā€™re not colossal shitbags. They definitely arenā€™t people Iā€™d be friends with. But the world is full of colossal shitbags that I wouldnā€™t be friends with doing shitbaggy things and Iā€™m not allowed to shoot them because it upsets me.

If someone made cartoons depicting my wife in the most heinous way possible, and I grabbed a buddy and some rifles and unloaded on the artist, you wouldnā€™t be saying that those people had it coming. Iā€™d be featured in Viceā€™s ā€œCry-Baby of the Weekā€ features. And my wifeā€™s a real person, with real feelings who I care about more than I could express in words, not some dead person that an old book says is important.

9 Likes

Yes, considering, these wars arenā€™t quite over yet to some Texans.

4 Likes

To be fair, shooting is the solution to everything in Texas. Thereā€™s a reason Itā€™s known as ā€œThe Florida of Statesā€.

7 Likes

ā€¦or a bottle of urine.

3 Likes

Pretty sure the people running this event consider themselves Christian, so they, too, are ignoring their basic teachings to do so,

James 4:17 ESV
So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

1 Peter 3:9 ESV
Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing.

Matthew 5:44 ESV
But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

I could probably go onā€¦

6 Likes

Well, thatā€™s the funny thingā€¦ Freedom of speech except - I imagine that thereā€™s a lot of people there whoā€™d like to ban the Koran. So, itā€™s sort of ā€˜Freedom of MY Speechā€™.

4 Likes

No one is being an asshole ā€œjust because we can,ā€ but rather because a group of people use murder to police disfavored speech, and that kind of action cannot be allowed to stand, even for a moment.

3 Likes

Eh - there are some maybe like that. But the way the system is set up, the Koran is safe, as is Tom Sawyer, Everybody Poops, and Mein Kampf.

1 Like

It remains profitable for her to do so, even still.

No ā€œmaybeā€ about it:

So Iā€™m glad that no one other than the gunmen were killed and I guess Iā€™m glad that the people who hosted this event had the legal right to do so, but Iā€™d hate to see people who are actively trying to ban the exercise of an entire religion portrayed as some kind First Amendment heroes.

13 Likes

Weā€™re not in a war of civilizations, weā€™re bystanders in a clash between motivated intolerant assholes.

Civilization must marginalize and contain them and move on.

13 Likes