Gun ban at Pence-featured NRA convention has Parkland students baffled. Why more guns at schools, but zero at conventions?

That is a good, yet hard question. Missouri has that as well now. And my home state of Kansas.

What is funny is remember when I was like 18 or so talking to a friend who just got hired as a cop (I worked with him at walmart, he was in this early 20s), asking about conceal carry. Actually I had taken to carrying a knife for protection when going to the “big city” of Wichita after hearing about what was surely an urban legend in hindsight. But that lead to asking about conceal carry of weapons and guns. At the time you couldn’t get a license in Kansas unless you were a cop, ex-cop, or some specific security type jobs, like guarding money transfers.

The conceal carry movement started in the early 90s, and it was a response to the rising crime rate (which at it’s peak was nearly twice what is is now in homicides). People wanted the same “rights” criminals were exercising. The NRA, I imagine, had a hand in this, but honestly from what I have read most of the leg work on these issues are by state based conceal carry orgs. In 25ish years the landscape moved from no-issue, to may-issue, to shall-issue, to constitutional carry in some states. so I find it interesting how fast this has changed.

So, anyway, back to your question. Honestly, I have mixed feelings about it. In the past my support for licensing has extended to USE in places other than the home. i.e. nothing is needed if you just buy one and shoot on your land, or a designated range. Hunters for ever have to go through a hunters safety course. I still remember taking mine with my dad and friend Ben Thompson. I got a perfect score on the test.

Conceal carry is one area where I am ok with rudimentary training for a license. It isn’t just for the people out there, but for the user, letting people know about the various legalities of conceal carry, the restrictions etc. Now MO actually has a CC license you an still get, and it affords you MORE rights than constitutional carry. Even though the required training is pretty basic, it is better than none, IMHO. Also IMHO if one does plan to carry regularly they need to invest in some basic to intermediate training, and self train (practice) for proficiency. (I by far had the best group in the shooting portion, getting all but one round in the orange section I was aiming at. Oh that one little guy…)

Sooo - on one hand, I would l think it is prudent to ask people to have at least a class under their belt for CC. On the other hand, I suppose making it not illegal by default to have a concealed weapon on you IS an increase in personal liberty, which I ideally support.

I think in reality, most people, everyone I know who does it, takes it very seriously. They are proficient enough to defend themselves (one of them doesn’t need a gun to do that, as he is extremely proficient in martial arts, including his native Filipino stick fighting), and take the idea they can defend with lethal force seriously. It makes one think hard about NOT putting themselves in situations where they would need it. They tend to not engage in actions which would lead to an escalation.

But we aren’t worried about those people, are we? We are worried about raging hot heads. The thing is, I am not sure them sitting through a CC class would change their minds or actions any. And keep in mind, even before this laws change, before there was CC as an option, people CC when they weren’t supposed to. Not intent on crime, but defense.

So while I am not against the licensing requirement for CC, and I am not for constitutional carry, I think from a practical level constitutional carry won’t have the negative effects some people are picturing in their heads. I know that is a wishy-washy answer, but like I said: mixed feelings.

You’re going to have to point that out to me. I have heard him disagree with their points, but not actual attacks.

And technically I haven’t been a member of the NRA for several years. It is more out of laziness than anything.

But that wasn’t the question I asked. I asked one to find a political org that you agree with 100%. Unless you started such org, you won’t find one. Even if you aren’t a democrat, can you say you have NEVER defended them? Like when someone calls Obama or Hillary a communist, for example. Ever correct them and tell them they are neo liberals? If not this example, can you think of others? If the answer really is no, then I am guessing you just don’t have political passion subject.