Gun ban at Pence-featured NRA convention has Parkland students baffled. Why more guns at schools, but zero at conventions?

I’ve never tried that, but I can’t say I’m surprised that they’re such a bunch of chickenshits they keep cameras out. Was this listed as an official rule, or was it just some asshole giving you a hard time?

2 Likes

What are you talking about? You do know that “gun free zones” aren’t gun-free for security personnel in those zones, right? “Gun free zones” means unauthorized personnel can’t carry. School resources officers still carry in gun free zones.

3 Likes

So basically what you’re saying is the Secret Service believe they are the only “Good Guys” who should be allowed to have guns in certain circumstances. Anybody else carrying a gun nearby might be a threat.

Sounds to me like the Secret Service requires a certain degree of {gasp} Gun Control!!

I thought the Second Amendment was meant to guard against this kind of governmental tyranny? I would think a group like the NRA would object to these “special rules”.

16 Likes

I thought that the NRA routinely banned guns at all their conventions?

1 Like

The Secret Service is in control of security. The NRA is yeilding to them.

I can’t believe that Pence (or certainly Trump) couldn’t override the Secret Service. Since they profess to be true believers, they should feel perfectly comfortable surrounded by so many good guys with guns.

2 Likes

I take their “guns in schools will save lives” about as seriously as I took big tobacco’s “cigarettes don’t cause cancer” claim. It’s a cynical bullshit idea that is designed to sell product at the expense of people’s lives. I don’t believe for a second that the people who are selling the idea think it will help. As you say, school shootings are actually very rare. Having a bunch of loaded guns around classrooms is more dangerous than school shootings.

“Zero action” isn’t disingenuous, it’s charitable. They are getting people killed on purpose to profit from it.

15 Likes

It was an official rule (and one I failed to notice until I was inside being swarmed by security).

2 Likes

Not enough good guys with cameras?

7 Likes

People I do business with regularly send me pictures of interesting things they see at gun shows, to get my opinion of authenticity or value.

Ooo. That would be more fun than a bucket of rocks.

If only they could make guns that are loaded look obviously different than guns that are empty. Like, in order to be able to pull the trigger you have to first insert a six foot neon flag into the top, like the visibility flags they had for bicycles when I was a kid. Are those still a thing? I’m old.

Until they are. But then it probably doesn’t really matter since it wasn’t your kid. Until it is.

I feel it’s a better thing to cultivate a sense of empathy than to taunt the universe into teaching me the hard way. I have two kids that both made it through high school without being shot and killed. I consider that a good thing, and would like all parents to have that same good fortune, and I don’t think the NRA is doing anything to make that more likely. Quite the opposite.

4 Likes

“no loaded weapons” is actually more specific than that. All weapons are required to have the action tied open, so that it is immediately obvious when you look at it that it is not loaded and can’t be fired.

3 Likes

Now THAT would be fun to watch.

1 Like

I see. This is new to me. My dad was mighty fond of guns, but at best I had a passing interest. I’ve never been to a gun focused event, apart from trips to a shooting range now and then.

I’m still enjoying the idea of requiring a large flag to be able to fire a gun as a fun, Twilight Zone style of solution. It could be DRMed so that you couldn’t just use any old thing without risking breaking a law that has serious consequences, unlike lesser crimes like murder. They could require that a new flag be purchased for every 10 bullets fired, and it would introduce an entirely new revenue stream.

This all boils down to the NRA not being the total gun nuts people portray them as and then pointing out that it somehow conflicts with their believes. Even though what people think their “beliefs” are has been perverted in many cases. AND the fact that its a huge org, not every member things the same thing. I am sure you can find SOMEONE who feel the same thoughts you and others have mentioned. That doesn’t mean everyone within the org feels the same way. Hell the paid spokes people don’t always agree, and THEY technically don’t speak FOR the NRA.

IF school shootings were a likely event, then yes, I could see it prudent to have more armed and trained users in schools. The fact that they are incredibly rare means I am inclined to agree with you that it isn’t the best idea.

That is hyperbole.

8 Likes

Is the Secret Service promoting this idea?

1 Like

My understanding is that the President or VP can’t override the Secret Service protective actions. There is legislation in place that gives Secret Service authority and responsibility to protect certain persons that can’t be changed without Congressional approval.

2 Likes

Although it is obviously true that one child’s statistical odds of dying at the hand of a school shooter are exceptionally slim, I don’t want to live in a society that accepts our mass shooting record as an acceptable benchmark. The vast majority of the rest of the world doesn’t.

6 Likes

Ummm, they are likely. There likely will be a school shooting in the US in the month of May. Likely in the first week.

1 Like

These days they do the portraying themselves, with their prattle about arming teachers.

6 Likes