Gun control in NZ

This thread is not about gun control, however I am interested to know what the status of gun control is in NZ.

Also I think it will be informative to see what the national and political reaction to gun control will be following this attack.

3 Likes

Great topic for a New Thread.

7 Likes

Perhaps, once a reaction begins to become visible.

3 Likes

I went here first this thing this Am:

They have a version of the US NRA it seems:

In March 2009 the New Zealand police bid to reclassify certain types of civilian semi-automatic firearms was overturned by the New Zealand High Court as a result of a legal challenge mounted by the New Zealand National Shooters Association (NSA) president Richard Lincoln.[ citation needed ]

2 Likes

Sounds like their guns laws can be summarized as “marginally more restrictive than the United States but still pretty unregulated compared to most any other developed country.”

2 Likes

Seeing this already:

4 Likes

If conservatives’ response to school shootings is “arm the teachers!” then logically shouldn’t their response to Mosque shootings be “arm the Muslims!”?

11 Likes

Well that certainly didn’t take too long.

8 Likes

Official count: 6 days for legislative action:

To me this feels like what a rational and caring society would do in reaction to an attack like this.

What we have in the US feels like what a corrupt and selfish society would do in reaction to an attack like this.

7 Likes

Here’s the full text of Prime Minister Ardern’s speech.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.