Gun control is a great idea, terrorist watchlists are bullshit

About the UK- the last mass shooting here, in 2010, was carried out with legal weapons (a bolt-action .22 and a double-barrelled shotgun) that the gunman was licensed to own. Unlike after the previous two mass shootings, which were also carried out with legal weapons that were banned shortly afterwards, our gun laws were not changed. I think there’s a general consensus here that, while mass shootings are not impossible, further restrictions would not be justified to prevent them given how rare they are.

3 Likes

no, the nra and republicans are fine with a watch list that is capricious and almost impossible to appeal as long is it isn’t attached to the RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. it’s only when the list gets tied to the magical and majestic RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS that they worry about due process.

13 Likes

More reporting on how Almost Every GOP Senator Just Voted to Keep Letting Terror Suspects Buy Guns which is a noteworthy high water mark of racist GOP Crazy Town, notwithstanding preexisting watch list craziness.

1 Like

Not a member of or spokesman for the NRA, but I happen to have the NRA statement on the issue at hand-
“The NRA believes that terrorists should not be allowed to purchase or possess firearms, period. Anyone on a terror watchlist who tries to buy a gun should be thoroughly investigated by the FBI and the sale delayed while the investigation is ongoing. If an investigation uncovers evidence of terrorist activity or involvement, the government should be allowed to immediately go to court, block the sale, and arrest the terrorist."

They managed to be disingenuous bags of shit on every dimension of that question.

8 Likes

Speaking Welsh, writing down math problems…

3 Likes

Here’s the hidden-get: “watchlists” are okay?

Wait, let me get this straight: You can put me on a list I can’t see but prevents me from my civil liberties? Seriously? That’s fascism.

p.s. Oh wait, there’s no recourse if you’re on the list? And you don’t even know if you are on the list to begin with? WTF?

p.p.s. Where the fuck are we? Fascism, Hey? Not okay.

p.p.p.s. here’s the get-squared: unwield these shackles: no lists: just different peeps.

4 Likes

And put people with depression onto a watchlist.

2 Likes

I want the politicians to push much, much harder on reinstating funds for CDC studies of guns and violence from a public health perspective. The fact that they have been precluded from doing such work is criminally stupid.

5 Likes

Not everyone who shouldn’t own a gun is like me and realizes that mixing short temper with guns is a bad idea. You guys see how i am on an off day. Would you want me to have a loaded weapon? Me either.

3 Likes

Here’s the hidden-get: “watchlists” are okay?

Who are you talking to?

3 Likes

It’s worse than that. The no-fly list contains only names. If you share a name with someone who made it onto the list - you’re on the list too. There’s even cases of 6 & 1year-olds being flagged.

It isn’t fit for its own purpose, let alone being recycled for other uses. And I really don’t think creating a “bad law” is going to help in this case. It’ll just hinder the next push. Picture politics ads with some harmless, white, rural 50yo citizen who can no longer hunt because he happens to share a name with Robert Johnson.

8 Likes

Well, I understand this argument in theory. But as someone who believes no one should have guns, and the 2nd Amendment should be repealed, I’m generally in favor of any legislation that causes less people to have guns, even if the criteria is kinda bullshit.

1 Like

It would have had one good effect. Slightly less people would have had guns.

Other than that? Keep allowing the mentally ill to have guns. Why not encourage people going to a night club and drinking to take guns with them? Drunk people shooting each other in the throbbing noisy dark, sounds like such a good idea. A fun night out. Anyway, it’s easy to tell a good guy with a gun from a bad guy with a gun, in a dark night club with bullets flying.

Just remember, that a few people dying is nothing compared to one red blooded American being denied the right to own a gun, that is a real tragedy.

3 Likes

iirc many of the used weapons were sold as disabled decoration pieces*, but because of lax regulations in one EU state (Czech? not sure) it was easy to make them usable again (removal/bore out of one bolt or so).

* others were smuggled from the Balkans

3 Likes

Whites-only gun-shops. IT’S THE LAW!

1 Like

Post-partum depression, etc. etc. etc.

Have you thought this through?

2 Likes

[quote=“RichZellich, post:15, topic:80217, full:true”]
Those two amendments addressed putting mentally ill people on the NICS database, with protections for them, and also addressed how to use watch lists in conjunction with the NICS checks, with protections for the buyers and provisions for law enforcement being notified and being able to stop a purchase if necessary. Surprisingly well written and well thought out changes to existing law - and the Democrats voted them down. It appears the Dem’s are not interested in “reasonable” and “common sense” gun laws, but simply gun bans.[/quote]

Sadly that will never see mainstream media coverage because it goes against the narrative that republicans are gun toting maniacs and democrats are trying to save us from them. A year ago, I never would have imagined that I’d flip to the republican side of things, but here I am. Sanity is in short supply anywhere in politics, but the democrats seem to have lost it entirely.

The most tone-deaf thing about this move is Democrats thinking they are going to win against Republicans in a contest of Call the Other Guy A Hypocrite to Win Political Points, Even if You Have To Take a Hypocritical Stance Yourself To Prove a Point… They just don’t have the chops. Cognitive dissonance / selective memory / compartmentalization capacity seems to be a fundamental requirement for a life in politics but nobody does it like the right.

5 Likes

My one hope was that once guns were tied to the watchlist, more people (read: republicans) would be motivated to ensure oversight on the watchlist to see that it wasn’t abused.

3 Likes

My fear is that the list doesn’t have enough “plain ol’ Murrican names” for the GOP to give a shit.

6 Likes