Gun control is a great idea, terrorist watchlists are bullshit

That’s one of those things where the two words just don’t go together.

1 Like

probably not. but it might have been fun to watch them struggle to balance their loyalty to guns with their fear of “un-american” names.

3 Likes

or as lindsay graham put it: “There are no Bubbas on this list,”

3 Likes

Turns out banning certain (religious) groups from having guns while permitting others to have guns was the basis for enumerating the right to bear arms as a natural right in the bill of rights…

3 Likes

Oh good gravy, I agreed with Lindsay Graham on something? I feel faint. But, he did say it in their own lingua franca (heh).

It’s almost as weird as the day I agreed with Rush Limbaugh. (To be fair, it was in the mid 90s, and what he said was that without Latin American immigrants, the economy of the US Southwest would grind to a halt, so not that controversial a statement for those paying attention.)

Fortunately there are enough people who understand that this is a very bad idea. It could be used as a basis to circumvent other constitutional rights. The argument would be the same - we need to look in the homes of these people, who could be terrorists, just to check and see if they are building bombs or have guns, etc. We don’t have any evidence that they are but they are on this list. Therefore we need to walk around the 4th amendment just a tiny bit.

1 Like

So we can check in on them now and then to see that they are doing okay.

5 Likes

So I may be sitting at home thinking that there ought not be a list of people who can’t get on planes (because they are on the list (because it would be dangerous for them to be on planes (because they are on the list))), but I note that the majority of the people in the US senate don’t agree with me on that point. They think there ought to be a list and “because I say so” is a good enough criterion to be on it and deny people the ability to board aircraft seems fine.

And if you buy the logic that people on that list of reliably too dangerous to allow on planes, then denying that they ought to also be stopped from buying guns is crazy.

But that’s just the no fly list. What about the kill-with-dronestrike list? The democrats and republicans both also agree that’s a good thing.

So to the very few senators who voted against bills to expand gun control and who are sponsoring their own bill to get rid of extrajudicial executions, I say, “Sure, I can see that.” But to the majority of those who oppose these bills who believe that the government should have the power to arbitrarily take the lives of its citizens but should not have the power to arbitrarily restrict gun ownership, I say, “What the fucking fuck?!?”

10 Likes

The only good watchlist is the one on Netflix.

8 Likes

Untrue

2 Likes

Perfectly reasonable. However, the gun lobby - who are known liars - tell us that there is plenty of oversight and accountability already. It’s just that those who feel there is not just hate America and the 2nd amendment.
Of course, this is coming from people who cravenly protect the profits of arms manufacturers and place that above keeping the population at large safe from the wrong end of a bullet.

1 Like

ISABELLA:
Kind of true.

SID:
Got to say, sort of true.

1 Like

Are you KIDDING?! How is that going to benefit the prison industrial lobbyists or simultaneously throw a group of persons under the bus while not solving that particular vector of mass murder?

That might rid them of an excuse for mass gun deaths, and (worse) treated mental illness would prevent gun purchases, so less profits for the industry the NRA reports to and lobbies for.

1 Like

I’m concerned that these people craft one not insane statement a day to mix in with all the lies, for later cherry picking. That, or they just take calls to tear apart reality so they can “stand by” their one sane statement while letting their listeners be happy little racist shitbags.

1 Like

I thought this was going to link to Rob’s list.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

8 Likes

Straight up. The last thing we need to be doing is giving the FBI more extrajudicial powers.

1 Like

My name is James Morgan, that name is also on some list somewhere, because it’s a pain for me to book plane tickets using it. No online check ins, ‘random’ bag checks, all of that. Oddly tacking on my middle initial is all it take to fly like a normal person again. So yeah, I don’t think that any number of American sounding names getting on these lists would make any difference, many of us are already on the lists.

5 Likes

That blows, you have my sympathy. The list, if it must exist, needs to be cleaned up and a way found to avoid this type of bullshit. It’s not OK.

The 4th Amendment is already gone. See earlier posts.

2 Likes