Gun control is a great idea, terrorist watchlists are bullshit

There are zero mass shootings outside of “gun-free zones.”

The following mass shootings occurred outside of your “gun-free zones” just this year:

6 Likes

In some ways I feel like gun control is for the Dems. in Congress what abortion is for the GOP in Congress - an issue they harp on with vigor to motivate the base and get votes, then make a few half-hearted efforts to give them some scraps in office while focusing on their core business of pushing the bills their campaign donors/lobbyists write for them.

3 Likes

Thank you for practicing restraint each and every day.

1 Like

Here’s Jim Jefferies on Gun Control, and pretty much all the arguments come down to “I like guns”

1 Like

Property rights and weapons are the only human rights that matter, obviously.

Stop stigmatizing mental illness you expletiveing expletive! You know why people don’t get treatment before they do something crazy? People like you, that’s why!

That is what their psychiatrists, counselors, friends and relatives are for, not the police. Police have a depressing tendency to shoot first and ask questions later as soon as mental illness is mentioned, thanks to aforementioned stigma.
-People who don’t have psychiatrists to talk to don’t get diagnosed and put on lists.
-People with depression are rarely dangerous to anyone but themselves.
13% of the US population is on anti-depressants right now, yet people still spout this crap constantly while pretending to be enlightened and progressive. It makes me sick.

6 Likes

Thank you.

Speaking as one of the resident official nutters, I am severely disinclined to see any government registry of the mentally ill as a good thing.

Y’all are aware that the Holocaust began in Germany’s asylums, yes?

6 Likes

Yep. That’s why the Presidential election, and subsequent Supreme Court nominee(s) confirmation is so scary.

If it goes to the Dem’s, we lose the Second Amendment, and more. If it goes to the Republicans, we lose Roe. vs. Wade, and more.

Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson is looking better and better - we can vote for a Good Guy, instead of a coin-toss between two evils.

1 Like

Gun sales continue to be strong (especially so after mass shootings) while Planned Parenthood clinics are being systematically eliminated in several states.

Whatever direction the legal winds may be blowing, one of these things seems culturally and politically threatened far more than the other.

5 Likes

Republicans have been screaming “they’re coming for your guns” with every election cycle since Bill Clinton was first elected president. There are now more guns than ever floating around the US. The preponderance of evidence suggests that no one is coming for your guns.

Gary Johnson last held office as a Republican, so do you honestly believe he’d govern differently than any other Republican? I don’t.

5 Likes

Well, I do want to be clear that I was making a joke in response to @OtherMichael - he invoked the reasonable horror we would feel if the FBI was putting together a list of the mentally ill for reasons unknown, and I presented the idea that such a list would be put together to help people as parody (I know that parody is impossible) because I doubt any sensible person could really believe that it would even be possible that an FBI list of people with mental health issues could be a good thing.

That being said, if we are talking about it seriously I’d like to push back against the idea that the government in general must be nefarious.

The US founders had this obviously (when you think about it) silly idea that you could prevent tyranny with laws against tyranny. It’s right out of Shakespeare, the first think a tyranny is going to do is kill all the lawyers. Do you think that a government that is willing to send people with depression to death camps is going to stop short of hacking into appointment books of psychiatrists because that would be going too far?

The government has a list of billionaires, or if they don’t keep one actively they can easily enough obtain one. We never seem to sit around and fret about the government having the power to come after billionaires. though. The reason why people with mental illnesses are vulnerable is because they are stigmatized. Reducing that stigma is the way to protect people, not being vigilant about lists.

If death camps get set up in the US it will be because a majority or near majority vote for them. Individual rights are going to be the justification for fascism, not a protection against it. If we don’t want tyranny we need to create a culture of responsibility, respect and caring where each individuals rights are balanced against the good of the community.

We should live in a society where some social agency having a list of people to check in on to see that they are doing okay sounds like a good idea, rather than a society where it sounds like a bad one because our governments are so dangerous. We should live in a society whether police are trustworthy and helpful instead of one where it is reasonable to be afraid of them.

4 Likes

Well, or any other Libertarian running for national office. I’ve met some nice ones for local, but local action isn’t as horrifying, depending on the brand of Libertarian. It’s also a big tent of whackadoodle and doesn’t push the Bircher scum and organized racists to the margins as much as I’d like.

2 Likes

I would not be a cycling fomidae* if I didn’t point out that there is nothing inherently “bad” about a tyrant other than the ceasing of power by force. Historically, there have been a large number of wonderful tyrants, who overthrew horrible non-tyrants.

But, that’s neither here nor there.

* ped ant

1 Like

Well, I think the obsession with freedom is really the root cause of all of the US’s problems. A good old fashioned tyrant who showed up to eat the rich, institute health care and nationalize most of the insurance industry would leave everyone better off in the long run.

3 Likes

what do you think of a gofundme to buy bernie sanders a looooooot of guns

It’s not the obsession itself, but rather how the term is invoked—by U.S. citizens, politicians, media—in terms of volition only. The freedom to do something or be able to do something. Thus, most U.S. citizens see threats to freedom only in terms of infringement or otherwise sacrificial to the greater good.

All this points to the true root of the U.S.'s problems: a pervasive anti-collectivism unwittingly paraded by all three social strata mentioned above as an exceptional strain of individualism unique to the U.S.

4 Likes

Let’s at least pretend that judges are supposed to be non-partisan, OK?

Besides, that hasn’t happened yet, over many decades of Presidents and Supreme Court Justices.

You could lay down the burden of irrational fear. Try it.

2 Likes

Right. Just Ibrahims.

But fuck me, right?

6 Likes

Freedom as a cargo cult.

2 Likes