Gunman kills 50 in Florida gay nightclub

It’s also worth noting that bigots don’t make rational distinctions. We say a gay club - but there were lesbians, Trans people & bi people there. The ad for Pulse’s Latin Night actually features solely Latina trans women.

15 Likes

And generally many straight people as well.

I have been to several in the past because generally they have the best House Music.

I know groups of women who frequent them because they just want to dance and not get hit on by guys. It’s usually diverse.

17 Likes

Indeed. Often getting a drink with their family members.

3 Likes

For those who haven’t clicked the link:

“In Romans Chapter 1, Verse 32, the Apostle Paul does say homosexuals are worthy of death – his words, not mine. And I am not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ. And I am not ashamed of the truth, of the word of God. I am willing to go to jail for it.” —Kevin Swanson, ‘pastor’

Holy f—k.

11 Likes

So governmental oversight of anything is “unchecked”? I doubt you’d say so about other things the various levels of government, including federal, oversee.

Seems to me your unreasonably paranoid fear is showing. And really, what in the world do you NEED a semiautomatic assault rifle for anyway?

5 Likes

Scenario 1: The Feds are coming for you. (Too bad, you’re fucked anyway. They have armies and tanks and predator drones and nuclear weapons.)
Scenario 2: Zombie apocalypse. (Man up and get a baseball bat.)

18 Likes

Man with weapons and explosives arrested, was going to L.A. gay pride parade, police say

5 Likes

this is actually a great example, and maybe it can help change your thinking some.

access to condoms - which are a human invention - have a real and measurable effect on controlling stds and unwanted pregnancy. it enables what most people would argue are better outcomes for teens for behavior many will engage in regardless.

a different human device - the gun - enables worse outcomes for people who will engage in suicidal or violent behavior regardless of whether they have a gun.

condoms make one kind of interaction better, guns make a different kind of interaction worse.

it’s an odd juxtaposition, but maybe it helps you see that education - sex or gun - isn’t enough. abstinence from sex and abstinence from violence are likewise impossible goals.

we have to look at the each system as a whole, and adjust.

in the case of guns, i personally don’t believe in complete bans. if conservatives get the comprise of the morning after pill being behind counters, can’t we get some reasonable regulations to address f’ing gun violence in this country!?

8 Likes

and if the conservatives in America and their politicians actually cared to do something about underlying problems, other folks might care but, really, the only time a Republican cares about mental health or education is when they have a crisis in their own family or when someone threatens their gun ownership. They never care enough to actually fund anything.

10 Likes

with your gun?

2 Likes

It just got here and started with remarks that will raise hackles… yes I think it is.

3 Likes

Wait for the gun nut to say, “Well, actually, it is a magazine not a clip…”

Update: DAMN IT -

5 Likes

I’m flying to London in a couple of hours. I predict that no one will rampage and shoot me dead while I’m there. Wish I could say that about America.

5 Likes

Gun control isn’t a purely conservative issue.

There are many Democrats who feel the same way. And on both side there are those who want to limit one type and not another. There are even group of gun owners who are very liberal in some areas, but still very pro gun, such as the Pink Pistols. The gamut of gun owners is more than just white guys in trucker hats and trucks or black criminals, which is how the media seems to like to stereotype.

OH hey - they already have a statement:

Gwendolyn Patton, First Speaker of the Pink Pistols, an international GLBT self-defense organization, warns people not to jump immediately to the assailant’s guns as the object of blame, but to concentrate instead on Mateen’s violent acts. “The Pink Pistols gives condolences to all family and friends of those killed and injured at Pulse,” began Patton. “This is exactly the kind of heinous act that justifies our existence. At such a time of tragedy, let us not reach for the low-hanging fruit of blaming the killer’s guns. Let us stay focused on the fact that someone hated gay people so much they were ready to kill or injure so many. A human being did this. The human being’s tools are unimportant when compared to the bleakness of that person’s soul. I say again, GUNS did not do this. A human being did this, a dead human being. Our job now is not to demonize the man’s tools, but to condemn his acts and work to prevent such acts in the future.”

Yes you’re right that many of the Republican policies aren’t helping things such as health care.

Odds are, unless you are black and live in a really bad neighborhood, your chances of being shot are pretty low. And even if you were in the worst neighborhoods, your chances are low.

Really, do it’s like a Trump rally with him warning about rapists Mexicans and Muslim Terrorists and we all laugh at him. Someone does a horrible shooting and suddenly people are spouting the same crap.

1 Like

Mindless haters, and those who gleefully race full tilt toward the total implosion of society.

Those people; and I’m sick of them too.

5 Likes

Romans 1 does seem to talk against homosexuality, but it isn’t specific about the punishment. If anything, homosexuality could be seen as the punishment for rejecting Paul’s god. These are the people that Paul does say are worthy of death:

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

I’m not a Christian or a fan of Paul, but that list seems to describe anti-gay preachers of different religious persuasions better than the people they direct their hatred toward.

Or gay and in a club… or an abortion doctor… or in an American mosque… or a Mexican immigrant or anyone else that looks brown… Basically, if you’re straight, white and a Republican, your chances are reaaaaal low.

17 Likes

Mental illness is a disease. Violence is a symptom.

5 Likes

I think we can all agree that reasonable weapons access control would have revoked the licence of someone with this history:

The senior law enforcement source reports that Mateen became a person of interest in 2013 and again in 2014. The Federal Bureau of Investigation at one point opened an investigation into Mateen but subsequently closed the case when it produced nothing that appeared to warrant further investigation.

“He’s a known quantity,” the source said. “He’s been on the radar before.”

The senior law enforcement source told The Daily Beast that Mateen was born in New York and was married for a time to a woman from New Jersey.

That woman told the Washington Post that he repeatedly abused her during their marraige, which lasted from April 2009 to July 2011.

“He was not a stable person,” the ex-wife said. “He beat me. He would just come home and start beating me up because the laundry wasn’t finished or something like that.”

5 Likes

Hah - no, actually, all of those people you mentioned have a fairly low homicide rate. The black on black homicide rate unfortunately his much higher, but it is mostly localized in large cities in very poor areas.

But homicides are still rather rare in the US. Outside of the the large cities they rarely occur.[quote=“JonasEggeater, post:125, topic:79594”]
Mental illness is a disease. Violence is a symptom.
[/quote]
Yes but most homicides and gun violence doesn’t stem from mental illness.[quote=“KathyPadilla, post:126, topic:79594”]
That woman told the Washington Post that he repeatedly abused her during their marraige, which lasted from April 2009 to July 2011.
[/quote]

Did she file charges or get a restraining order? Domestic abuse if one of the few non-felony acts that will get your rights suspended or revoked.