Guns Don't Kill People, Toddlers Do

I was just trying to figure out why gun deaths were special compared to other deaths and I got my answer.

So you figured out that gun deaths occur because a bunch of post-apocalyptic fantasists can have their cowboy daydreams of fighting off the “gubbermint” and being “good guys with guns” while the corporate interests that provide their drug of choice make money off of selling death machines for the (predominantly white, male) masses?

1 Like

Haha. See the MBTI thread for my response to this. YAI.

1 Like

chants loudly “Centrists! Centrists! Centrists!”
I’ll give you my middle man position when you pry it from my cold dead hands!

2 Likes

I invite you to read what you just wrote.

Cough cough.

2 Likes

I checked again. There’s an article about straw purchases at gun stores, but that’s not the same thing as underage sales.

And if you’re pointing to something in the audible story, please point to it. You can’t expect that I’ll invest 42 minutes listening to the story so I can make your point for you.

1 Like

One a week. But hey, more small children get shot than do police officers in this country, so I guess someone’s taking to heart the saying that the only thing that stops a bad toddler with a gun is someone shooting a toddler. That’s how it goes, right?

Yeah, the entire gun violence problem in this country is entirely restricted to people being shot by toddlers, rather than shootings by toddlers being symptomatic of a larger problem with guns.

Twice as many than are shot by toddlers armed with firearms. We have about 10,000 children shot each year in this country. That’s not even getting to the bulk of shootings involving adults, whereas children are disproportionately the victims of bathtub drownings.

6 Likes

No way… you created a .gif bank for those kind of gifs specifically!!! Are there that many of them? Oh my god, my world is breaking down around me…

6 Likes

I would suggest that one of the reason that online efforts to promote gun control fall short precisely because it appeals to what is often the very same people involved in some combination of anti-gun, anti-gmo, anti-vaccine, anti-factory farms, anti-animal research (did I miss anything?). They don’t accomplish anything because they are splitting their time between various issues without doing anything, and while their numbers seem large (because the same people get counted over and over again on different issues) this obviously does not translate into votes. This sense of having overwhelming numbers yet being thwarted is common to political movements, which must resort to a conspiracy theory to explain how “We surround them” (Glenn Beck) without being in charge.

Also, there is more than one bank?!!?! How many banks are there?

3 Likes

Obviously, we need laws that bathtubs be no more than two inches deep and a 25 mph national speed limit.

Damned slippery slope!

I can’t wait until we finally hit the “gun control/video games/feminism/trilbys-as-fedoras/circumcision/Steve Jobs” megathread. It’s going to happen, and I for one have my .gifs at the ready.

7 Likes

Lessee, there’s the main gif bank thread, and the misandry gif thread, you know those.

There’s a newer one just for jpgs and pngs and whatnot, and of course the Count to 10k thread gets a lot of neat images.

4 Likes

The interview with the gun store owner is revealing. He describes the ways that unscrupulous dealers evade the age limits, or more accurately just don’t bother with them.

The interview with the law prof is also revealing. He will tell you all about federal law on gun liability, and why it is virtually impossible to find anyone liable for anything.

And if you can’t be bothered with the story, please don’t say you didn’t see anything there. You didn’t see because you didn’t bother to look.

1 Like

You gave a link and no other guidance, and I checked it twice.

If you had a point to make in relation to their reporting, well, it’d be downright decent of you to tell us when the relevant portions are.

But yeah, you should probably just chew on me instead.

3 Likes

Anyone for…
Um…
Turning this thread into a…
Well ya know… .gif thread?

3 Likes

Chew on whaaa now? He isn’t chewing on you, he is chewing on himself… and I think you should let him :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Gifs, you say…

4 Likes

Did you miss anything? Common sense, perhaps? Nice straw man there though.

3 Likes