Guy dumps fridge off cliff in nature, mocks recycling. Gets 45000€ fine, has to go get it and dispose properly

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/31/guy-dumps-fridge-off-cliff-in.html

11 Likes
63 Likes

FELON: What’d ya get?

ARLO GUTHRIE: I didn’t get nothin’. I had to pay 50 dollars and pick up the garbage.

42 Likes

I think Trump just found his new EPA Director.

37 Likes

Arlo Guthrie: And creatin’ a nuisance!

18 Likes

[Father-rapers move back to Arlo’s side of the bench to shake his hand and slap him on the back]

11 Likes

With any luck they too will be inspired to compose a 19 minute counter culture ballad

10 Likes

I am so happy to see this as the first comment. It’s exactly what I was thinking of while I read the story. :grinning:

16 Likes

There is nature around Almería? This is one of my go-to places in Google Earth/Maps when I want to be impressed and assure myself what mankind can do to nature:
https://goo.gl/maps/7NSPEdUdoB53Brj58
See the white area to the left around El Ejido? Now zoom in… It’s a myth that you can see the Great Wall of China from space, but I am pretty sure you can see this.

Not that this gives anyone a free pass to dump trash. 45000 EUR is probably a pretty nice dent in their revenue.

1 Like

I love that he had to go get it. The fine is great, but making him go get it… Let the punishment fit the crime!

38 Likes

What a maroon!

7 Likes

Homophone corner “Sauces”.:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Lol. Suck it, bitch.

4 Likes

But did he keep his cool?

10 Likes

Arnold Schwarzenegger voice:

Ice one.

7 Likes

We here in Europe like to rag on on the Dutch and the Spanish, but this is what growing veggies looks like. And there is a big, big difference between the hectare upon hectare of greenhouse to dumping old appliances in the remaining nature. So I’m going to ding you for a false equivalency there, my friend. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

The main reason I brought this up was because Almería was mentioned. Had this happened anywhere else, I wouldn’t have made the connection.

Of course these are “different things”, but blanketing the landscape with acres of plastic, so that no bird, no insect, no nothing can live there is an abomination. Sure, the agricultural steppes of other European countries are not great either (which is why the number of insects and birds are declining there also), but what happens in this area is IMHO on a totally different level. And that is only the ecological side of the story, there is also an ethical aspect, that many consumers probably don’t know.

Not that it’s much better but they are blanketing the landscape with acres of plastic because they regulate the temperature of the crops so the rest of Spain can get them all year round instead of seasonally.

While there are several ecologic drawbacks to the plastic greenhouses, it also reduced the need for using pesticides and plaguicides; there are also projects to reduce the ecological impact, although there is risk of losing that with the replacement of the progressive government to a more conservative one.

[Source]

The ethical part, though, is true, and is proving difficult to remedy.

3 Likes

Yeah, he was chilled about it - occupational hazard, and all that.

Counter culture, you say? You did note that it was clearly not an under-counter fridge…

(I’d get my coat, but it’s too warm.)

5 Likes

Pedantry-- “assholes” dump large appliances, “morons” film it and put it on the web.

From the article: police could find no records of the company ever working with a known waste removal carrier in ten years of business.

So I guess that means the Guardia Civil should start looking around the countryside for more appliances.

7 Likes