Guy dumps fridge off cliff in nature, mocks recycling. Gets 45000€ fine, has to go get it and dispose properly

Yes

Now look to the right

9 Likes

What? There’s no Craigslist in Spain? Just list all those busted appliances under the ‘Free Stuff’ section and get out of the way.

1 Like

Came here to see an Alice’s Restaurant Massacree reference. My day is off to a good start.

3 Likes

Why was he filming it?!? This is like next level dumbassery.

5 Likes

Its safe to assume this is not the first time this dude has illegally dumped appliances like this.

7 Likes

I can’t stand dumpers. Oh it boils the blood.

2 Likes

“We came to a side road, and off the side of the side road there was another fifteen foot cliff, and at the bottom of the cliff there was another pile of garbage. And we decided that one big pile is better than two little piles, and rather than bring that one up we decided to throw ours down.”

A friend who lived in Spain for a while was tossing their garbage on the USA nature trails we hiked on. It took a few months of reacculturating to USA norms before they stopped. Littering is a thing in Spain.

1 Like

The system worked!

1 Like

A casual look along most US highways will confirm some ass-hattery still exists. I encourage friends in Spain, the US, and elsewhere to reap the real benefits of not littering, whilst humbly remembering the no-so-distant past, ala ‘Madmen’:

4 Likes

I’m surprised they didn’t bring in a properly qualified environmental cleanup company and make him pay for it. He got off easy.

Mad Men season 2 is supposed to have taken place between February and October 1962. Perhaps New York wasn’t yet the beneficiary of such a campaign.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I kind of feel that anyone who is caught littering the first time should be sentenced to clean up an illegal dump for a couple of days; 8 hours working under the sun picking up trash with nothing more than a plastic bag and your gloves.

If you still litter after being made to clean up an illegal dump like that, you are a horrible person.

When my parents bought their house, we discovered an illegal dump in the forest behind the house that we cleaned up as best we could. It took us two years or so of part-time digging through and cleaning out the trash. Hundreds of plastic bags worth. Wet, nasty work. I hated it.

3 Likes

My job of last resort is manual labor. Well, okay, my job of last, LAST resort is Data Entry…but, anyway, I had to clean up the backyard of a car hoarder. There were tires and rims and rusty axles EVERYWHERE! I just kept pairing up the tires and rims, then putting them on the curb, and by the time I matched another pair, a passing driver had picked up the previous pair. Overnight, a pile of rusty axles and other similar junk disappeared.

The next day, an alarmed neighbor came by to warn me that people ‘were just taking them!’.

Of course, that system wouldn’t have worked as well with bags of cigarette butts and wet newspapers…

5 Likes

My local “swap and shop” page constantly has “free scrap” ads. I assume they work.

1 Like

If the fridge’s coil was ruptured, which seems likely given its wild ride down the cliff; then some of the enviromental damage cannot be undone, as the refrigerant has already escaped into the atmosphere.

Please dispose of fridges and freezers properly. Freon is not only bad for the ozone layer, it is poisonous in concentrated dosages.

5 Likes

Agreed. It reminded me of this decision:

4 Likes

Social media: giving idiots a global stage to demonstrate the depths of their stupidity.

2 Likes

Happens everywhere. Every hog-back ridge in Kentucky has at least half a dozen illegal dumps at the bottom. In Bexar County down in Texas there’s many square miles of land nobody wants because before you can build on a lot, you’d have to spend half a million removing all the trash dumped by remodeling and landscaping companies.

2 Likes