YouTuber fined $53K for tearing up a creek with his big truck

Originally published at: YouTuber fined $53K for tearing up a creek with his big truck | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

“I’m not the type to destroy natural resources.” (All evidence to the contrary notwithstanding?)

he was the only one charged, saying he was “an easy target.”

Well yeah, when you record it, put your name to it and upload it to Youtube, it makes it kind of hard to ignore, really…

47 Likes

Joshua Tree national park catches an asshole like this every week. They all have the same excuse, they didn’t know destroying nature was a bad idea, please don’t fine me tens of thousands of dollars…

31 Likes

His lawyer, Brian Perry — who, incidentally, represented Bill Cosby in his successful appeal of a rape conviction — said, “He’s looking forward to putting this behind him.”

Why do lawyers ever think saying this will cast their client in a positive light?

7 Likes

I’m feeling mean today, so I reported his entire channel for violating criminal statutes for which he has been fined. They probably won’t do anything, but meh… maybe it’ll demonetize him and force the little asshole to go get a real job instead of turning the outdoors into his own personal “tear it up” zone.

Too far? I’m tired and cranky and sick of the thoughtless jerks of the world.

53 Likes

If YouTube removed monetization for videos that violated the law, I bet this shit wouldn’t happen.

I guess they’re too busy deleting channels of people doing constructive things, and promoting alt right shit.

15 Likes

Because it works? I mean, you’re not the intended audience. The idiots who encourage this behavior and are outraged when someone gets caught ARE.

“He’s looking forward to putting this behind him” == “Can we please just pay the White Person Inconvenience Fee and move on?”

13 Likes

While I understand the sentiment, it’s unwise to make YouTube a judge/jury/executioner on this. See all the hubbub on spurious DMCA takedowns.

5 Likes

Yeah, I was wondering why they linked his videos.
Those clicks will more than pay for the fine. That truck is $100k and he didn’t mind destroying it for the video either.

10 Likes

I’m aware of that, I meant after a conviction, sorry.

5 Likes

I’m not the type to destroy natural resources

yet+here+we+are

32 Likes

Meanwhile corporate coal pollution continues …

11 Likes

“I had no idea it was illegal to drive through a creek,” Hyssong said. “I’m an outdoors guy. I hike and I’ve never even littered in my life. I’m not the type to destroy natural resources.”

So, take only videos, leave only big ass ruts from your big ass truck.

I notice there’s no mention of criminal trespass, so I guess the landowner gave him “permission”? In some areas, if a waterway enters or leaves your property, the waterway itself isn’t your property.

12 Likes

Just depends how motivated the authorities are, I guess. Just last weekend I reported a large scale crime in progress that was being live streamed on YouTube (and even provided the channel name) and the police simply didn’t care.

10 Likes

BINGO!

Oh, sorry, I just completely filled out my “Entitled, Sociopathic White Man Does Stupid Thing, Brags About It, Gets Caught, Receives Underwhelming Consequences, Still Complains” bingo card, all in one article! It’s a pretty specific card, I’ll give you that. Gets filled frustratingly quickly.

20 Likes

Good. Idiots like this are why every Tread Lightly off-road camping area in our entire area has been closed to vehicles. Our family switched to horseback camping because we couldn’t get our 4x4 into any of the areas we like to go anymore. It’s entirely possible to leave no trace when 4x4 camping, but one douchenozzle like this ruins it for everyone.

21 Likes

@MayNotLast

Apt choice of screen name there, comrade.

12 Likes

How many miles per gallon do you get out of that thing?

10 Likes

Skimmed through that aftermath video. He tore the shit out of a new truck because- and this may surprise people - they aren’t made to jump 20 feet in the air.

I know, I know. As a fan of the Dukes of Hazard I was shocked to learn this too. But it turns out to be able to do things like that and not suffer too much damage, you got to do a lot of work ahead of time.

6 Likes

Surprised he didn’t take along a back-hoe to structure the berms for smoother take-off and landings…

…(there’s an implicit /s there, but I feel honour-bound to include it, just in case, like).

7 Likes