Guy makes a solid bronze axe, includes video where the axe falls and slices his legs open

Nope. Not going to watch that.

2 Likes

Read through some of the youtube comments, and he responded regarding that. Apparently he couldn’t afford a trip to the hospital because stitches were too expensive :frowning:

5 Likes

#america

13 Likes

An angle grinder is almost never the correct tool for the job. But they’re very often the best incorrect tool for the job…

Yeah, I have 5.

11 Likes

It’s almost like he doesn’t know what he’s doing or something.

3 Likes

It might have done IMHO. The axe wasn’t moving with that much speed, looks like most of the force was straight down from gravity, so jeans might have been enough to deflect (at least some of) the blow.

Still does amaze me just how many people do potentially dangerous things in shorts and t-shirts on youtube. Especially the science themed channels: things like splashy acidic chemicals or thermite reactions with bare limbs* nearby, really people? :stuck_out_tongue:

*but don’t worry, they have goggles, that makes it ‘safe’ :wink:

4 Likes

I spent a large amount of time in my twenties using an axe to fell trees (clearing farmland, FWIW). I know well that denim would provide a significant amount of protection against an axe with low amount of force, such as the falling axe in the video. Against a well-swung axe or a chainsaw, denim provides little to no protection.

Funny story, I happen to know that leather boots are about the same amount of protection. I wouldn’t do that work now without at least a hard-cap-toed boot, and preferably steel-toed. I once had an axe bounce off the trunk of a tree and slice into my boot, going clean through the leather but stopping on a light colored layer of fabric liner. The gash it left in my boot looked almost identical to the injury in the video, other than the blood - all I had was a bruise. I wore those boots out but kept them as a trophy.

6 Likes

Why on earth would boingboing think I’d want to watch that?

2 Likes

Forging a bronze axe, okay, but I’ve had enough mishaps with sharp objects not going where intended, and have seen sufficient of my own blood as a result. DO NOT WANT.

1 Like

And i thought that’s where I was coming from. I am hot forging bar stock (not self cast) and then cold forging the edge, surprisingly little info on the techniques, but from what i gather you work the micro edge back and forth on itself, work hardening it. It seems to do a lot for the edge holding compared to un-workhardened, but again I have no point of reference.

(But yeah, I’m with you…)

6 Likes

Bad casting and not wanting to go back and fix his mistake. Either there was an air bubble, or more likely, a bit of sand collapsed into it. He either didn’t pack the sand well enough, or it wasn’t the right mixture (too wet or too dry).

Or it could have just happened. Shit goes wrong with casting projects sometimes. It’s just more likely with people who, for example, do things like use an angle grinder on a loose workpiece.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am very likely to do something exactly this stupid.

6 Likes

You misspelled 'Murica!

2 Likes

Tools that experience impact have slightly flexible handles for a reason, eg, hickory.

8 Likes

http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Bill_bec-de-bardiche_glaive-guisarme

Perhaps this is a regular occurrence. Perhaps his name is Eugene.

2 Likes

THis is how you can tell the video is from the USA - it would cost half a years salary to go to a doctor so they use butterfly closures as a second best.

2 Likes

nope nope nope nope nope nope
n o p e

2 Likes

The only way to heal the wound and staunch the bleeding is to recite the mythical origins of Bronze while concocting the appropriate ointment. [/Kalevala]

4 Likes

I assume that this was a Magritte homage.

Otherwise there is no reason to cast the handle out of bronze, thereby removing the opportunity for a joke about “Forging a head”.

OK.

5 Likes