Guy makes a solid bronze axe, includes video where the axe falls and slices his legs open

It just seems incongruous to me to cast in bronze an axe of a very modern shape.

4 Likes

Time to steal from Oglaf.

13 Likes

tis but a flesh wound

7 Likes

He also removed wheel guard, and that’s a really bad idea, especially with cut-off wheel - it can shatter explosively and broken off parts can travel as fast as 250 km/h. I’ve heard of a few cases in my area where people ended with parts of cut-off wheel embedded in the skull.

2 Likes

Like AvE always says: Keep your dick in a vise.

1 Like

The hands that fixed him up appeared to belong to someone else. Either he went to an urgent care clinic or ER and got shoddy service, or he deliberately wants a scar. If the latter, I’m not gonna judge. A scar from a maker project is much nobler than one from a fight, IMO. Better to take pride in creation than destruction.

Mark’s description was not ambiguous. No one forced you to watch it.

1 Like

If you cast a bronze axe and it doesn’t look like this, I feel like the point is being missed, somehow:

5 Likes

There’s a huge fault in the casting on one side, too!

I didn’t. I was questioning the idea that he thought that I might.

1 Like

And now I want an angle grinder.

Haha, Frauenfelder! You don’t have an angle grinder.

Get a small and lightweight tool with variable speed.
The Bosch #1380 Slim 4-1/2" Angle Grinder ($70) is probably perfect for your every need.
Thank me later.

You should include an Amazon link with a referral code to round out your friendly Frauenfelder mockery.
BTW I have and recommend that angle grinder. I have three angle grinders.

1 Like

Yeah I am not sure why he didn’t just do the axe head. I wouldn’t thin a full bronze one would last very long. There is a reason we use wood handles for axes.

1 Like

Harbor Freight – $15 for the cheapest one they have. Is it as good? Hell no. We are already talking about using the wrong tool for the wrong project…and making it work, so why not go ultracheap!

I have probably a hundred HF tools in my garage that I use once…and if I end up using them much more than that, I go out and buy the better one! But you aren’t going to figure out if it is even necessary on the first go around, and the better features won’t be apparent for several go rounds!

Even better…you have an angle grinder that you can say “Never saw that in my life” when you loan it to the neighbor kid and he cuts off three of his fingers!

Well that was utterly brilliant. Five thousand Internets to you! I bow down.

He does gorgeous work, doesn’t he? I’d visit his page more often but I’d have to get a drool bucket to protect my keyboard.   Want.

Another use for bronze tools is in munitions factories. When I worked for Thiokol we had a full assortment of bronze hammers, prybars, wrenches, screwdrivers, &etc - you didn’t want anything that could create a spark laying about when working around hypersonic missile fuel!

6 Likes

That’s the O-ring company, isn’t it?

We didn’t make the O-rings, we contracted that out. We made the solid fuel.

And we did not want to use O-rings in the first place, we wanted to do wound fiber case-on-propellant technology, but NASA insisted on steel cases with O-rings (they called it “proven technology”) and would brook no dissent.

And we showed them that the O-rings were going to fail and they overruled us and killed a bunch of astronauts.

Then Reagan made a triumphant, somewhat plagiarized speech.

That in a nutshell is the story of the end of one of my careers. I was not involved in the Challenger disaster in any way, but Morton-Thiokol laid off 15% of their staff by seniority (and even more than that at the Wasatch Division) in order to finance their legal defenses, and I was one of the younger pups at the time.

EDIT: Feynman, by the way, said later he’d been purposely led to find out about the O-rings, he said the material and ice water were supplied to him by certain people who wanted the revelation to come from him rather than from an insider. He said he’d been used, set up.

4 Likes

FYI Dude replied in the comments:
“aye i can’t afford to go to the hospital they charge to much.”

1 Like

I would also have accepted a double-bladed Labrys.

1 Like

Off Topic:You just reminded me that Edward Tufte uses a Boeing PowerPoint presentation from that disaster in one of his books. He rages on the inefficiencies of using PowerPoint to communicate complex data. He still uses the presentation as a PowerPoint buster.

https://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0001yB

2 Likes