Guy recreates Disneyland's Fantasyland in his basement

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/27/mr-toad-for-reals.html

4 Likes

Ding-dong … “Who is it?” … [Disney IP lawyers break down front door with a battering ram]

8 Likes

At least its not Tomorrowland.

That part of Disneyland was badly dated within a decade of the park’s opening. It is now largely just “the stuff surrounding Space Mountain”.

1 Like

Think if he’d done a 1/6th scale or smaller it’d be real interesting to try to recreate Disney. I don’t particularly care for this 1-1 recreation but as far as hobbies go i can’t really criticize the guy, there’s worse things to do with your own personal time.

2 Likes

There are far worse contenders for the category of “worst appropriation of Disney IP”

3 Likes

Holy jeosephat! The aging and detail he put into this is just gorgeous. Still one of my favorite areas of Disneyland and he put a ton of love into this.

2 Likes

That’s impressive. I wonder what he will do now that he has finished?

I don’t, I can’t… fuck, OK fine!
Fine, it’s very nice, fine!

3 Likes

If I had a 14,000 sq foot basement with 12 foot ceilings, and for whatever reason wasn’t expected to work constantly to pay for it, I imagine I’d like to do something like this too.

1 Like

It’s “retrofuturism”

1 Like

Subscribed. This DIY stuff is the best thing about the internet.

Now that’s obsessive dedication. Now, I don’t feel so bad about foregoing social events to write my books.

1 Like

Dig holes to extend his basement under his neighbors’ property so he can include the actual rides and not just the facades.

5 Likes

It was futurism at the time it was made. Now just retro. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That would be heart breaking for the guy, but strangely and sadly, I can see that happening.

door

5 Likes

Beautifully executed, but leaves me wondering just how big is that basement? Also, seems like opening one of those doors to the washer and dryer could be a bit anti-climatic.

4 Likes

Well, he can’t be living in California as he has a basement and a large one at that.

3 Likes

It’s been completely redone twice since then to try to ‘keep up’, but designing for the future is really impossible. For now they’ve consigned it to be retro-future, which works pretty well, though it (and WDW’s version) are solidly 90s-looking and need another overhaul.

3 Likes

8326f_funny-captions-dont-worry-were-from-the-internet

5 Likes