GWAR performs an NPR Tiny Desk concert

Originally published at: GWAR performs an NPR Tiny Desk concert | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Awesome. They’re more musical than I expected, and kind of funny, too. Good for NPR for being open to ALL kinds of music and acts with their Tiny Desk series, it’s always a joy to listen to.

13 Likes

I really like Jamison Land’s Tyrannus helmet. I would love to see an MCU film with comics’ accurate costumes.

5 Likes

I have a vague recollection of Gwar doing a similar concert at some point in the recent past. By similar I mean it was for some sort online podcast/vlog sort of thing where you wouldn’t normally expect Gwar to make a showing.

Edit: It was the AV Club, they played a bunch of cover songs:

9 Likes

3 Likes

Never thought I’d like these guys… NOW I GET IT!

1 Like

The AV Club covers are pure art. They had Gwar on a few times, late in each season, so they had the fewest songs to pick from the list, making for prime comedy and cover goodness.

2 Likes

I cannot believe GWAR are still around and kicking @$$. I probably first caught them in '88 or '89 in Richmond. Hole-in-the-wall club, the name of which I don’t remember right now (corner of Broad and Laurel; used to show Rocky Horror on the regular; I’m disturbed to check street view and see that there’s a wing and taco joint there now :man_shrugging:) populated mostly by VCU students and the Grace Street riffraff, plus of few of my HS cohort (@Xeni ever around here anymore?).

Good times.

3 Likes

Gwar Rules!

tumblr_o8x96oFMEr1qd4q8ao1_500

2 Likes

My mind jumped right to Don’s Hot Nuts and 929 Grace (Twisters)! GWAR, Honor Roll, Burma Jam, Alter Natives, Mudd Helmet… Good times indeed. :smile:

Ohh I almost forgot Dirt Woman.

1 Like

Small world. We must’ve crossed paths at some point, eh?

1 Like

Oh man as a long time Elliot in the Morning listener… RIP Dirt Woman.

1 Like

Of course there was a Dirt Woman / GWAR overlap:

When he was an infant, he suffered from the “Spider Mites of Jesus,” because his mother could not pronounce spinal meningitis.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.