Half a century of Los Lobos ‘Del Este de Los Angeles

Originally published at: Half a century of Los Lobos 'Del Este de Los Angeles | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I’ve seen them three times and each show was absolutely fantastic. And Kiko and the Lavender Moon is one of my favorite albums.

4 Likes

And great versatility. From a Christmas song to a Beach Boys cover that may top the original version.

3 Likes

I liked the “experimental” spinoff group Latin Playboys, especially the second album, Dose.

3 Likes

World of Weird:
“Legends of the Spanish Kitchen”, a locally produced and shown hallucidrama on KABC Los Angeles in 1985. It fictionalizes in two stories (one written by science-fiction writer Robert Silverberg) what may have happened on a strange night 24 years before when a locally famous Hollywood restaurant closed. The owner’s wife suddenly shuttered it in 1961, with plates and silverware awaiting the dinner crowd on the red and white checked tablecloths - and left that way for 40 years. John Doe starred with Lorne Greene (!), Phil Hartman (!!) and Los Lobos (!!!), and was co-directed by T-Bone Burnett (!!!) And, no, I ain’t makin’ this up.

2 Likes

I got to see them with The Blasters and X a few years ago in San Diego. Great show. The crowd was a very interesting mix, to say the least.

Dang. The generally dead acoustics and faint sinisterness reminds me of The Residents if the Residents had a touch more musicality. I think I’ll be checking these guys out.

I’ve been fortunate to see these guys live many, many times over the years. “Criminally underrated” is mostly a cliched phrase, but it can be applied here, as they have been a creative force for years. And really nice guys on top of all that. Their latest, “Native Son” is the tip of the iceberg. Seriously, check them out when you can.

Cmon. You can’t tease something as interesting as this… and then it’s not available anywhere. :slight_smile:

I wish it was available. I look for it every so often, but no joy there. I keep hoping.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.