Half of Brits polled would refuse a safe return-trip the the Moon -- simply not interested

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/14/half-of-brits-polled-would-ref.html

2 Likes

Brexit means Brexit.

(Once, in the Yorkshire town I moved to in the 80s, I overheard one person tell another: “Travel? Been to Leeds once.” Leeds was <100km down the road.)

7 Likes

The average persons’ lack of curiosity and interest in things outside their immediate bubble continues to shock me when I am confronted with it.

14 Likes

I would be interested in going if that was an option, however i don’t think it’s something i could ever do in my lifetime because the barrier would simply come down to cost. Even if space travel became commercialized i don’t think i could afford to spend a couple of grand or more on such a thing.

2 Likes

Every single one of those responses is perfectly reasonable. If 100 per cent safe travel to the moon was possible, why would you go? Bragging rights? It’s less interesting than going to Antarctica, which at least has penguins, and travel to the Moon would take three days, in cramped quarters that would make economy class look like a cruise ship. It would be the new equivalent of climbing Everest, except with less actual hiking: rich assholes would take over and pay extra to bring their espresso makers with them.

There are hundreds of thousands of places to go on Earth. If you’re so jaded and rich that you’ve used those up and have to leave the planet to get a thrill, well, good riddance.

6 Likes

For decades I thought the lyrics to that R.E.M. song went

If you believe they put a man on the moon, man on the moon
If you believe there’s nothing up there to see, nothing that’s cool

4 Likes

Did they adequately parse “Not interested in traveling to the Moon” from “Not interested in answering your stupid poll?”

16 Likes

Dibs on their seats! Shotgun!

8 Likes

Having grown up on sci-fi, I would go to the moon without hesitation. By the time they can guarantee (reasonably) safe return to pudgy, untrained civilians like myself, there will be some kind of established infrastructure and Stuff To Do, so count me in, even if it’s all touristy schlock.

11 Likes

I don’t have a problem with someone who would prefer to travel somewhere on Earth over going to the Moon but going to the Moon does have one thing travel anywhere else does not: a chance to see the entire Earth from above. That is a novel perspective to a human.

8 Likes

It’s too crowded.

9 Likes

Of course I’d go.
And I’d bring my flag.

5 Likes

I’d do it simply to experience an earthrise.

12 Likes

Unless it’s a trip to the ass-side of the Moon.

4 Likes

The relevant question for me is not would you go but how much are you willing to pay to do so? 20k? What about 10k? I think even going as low as 5k that would be just way too much and i would ultimately prefer to have a week (or longer) trip elsewhere for that kind of money. Others might decide the expense is worth it and it certainly could be but i don’t have the kind of income that would allow me to spend that much on a short trip.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the zero g that will make half the passengers spend their time puking, and the smell that will cause in close quarters. (Even if you are one of the lucky ones who handle weightlessness well).

4 Likes

Is this a scientific term?

4 Likes

Because you’d be going to the frikkin’ moon! What more reason would you need? I’d sign up in half a heartbeat.

2 Likes

Nope. I’ve seen NASA’s risk analysis. Not going.

2 Likes

Well, it’s better than the “dark side” of the Moon.

There might be some debate about which side of the Moon is the ass-side. Is the Moon facing us, or is it … mooning us?

6 Likes