Halifax declares war on "flushable" wipes

Is it unrealistic? Plastic microbeads as abrasives are on the chopping block.

It is an Obama presidential action, so I am sure it will get repealed though…

3 Likes

[quote=“monkeyoh, post:59, topic:91837, full:true”]

I have never seen one myself, but I’ve read Fear of Flying (they are memorably described therein) :grinning:

4 Likes

As someone who worked for years in a public library by the bus transfer station, has two children (one with digestive issues that have to be monitored), been a care giver, and used lots of public squat toilets, I’ve lost most of my squeamishness about feces, so I kinda shrug at that. It does make think “Huh, that seems pretty German. And practical.”

4 Likes

I deal. It’s rather refreshing, honestly. The water never gets ice-cold, as it basically sits at the ambient room temperature. I would dearly love a nice warm bum-bath – Japanese-style washlet seats are wonderful – but here in Massachusetts, getting a power outlet installed near a toilet is extremely expensive and requires special permits, etc. It’s not worth it.

3 Likes

This stuff is awesome.

Fresh Wipe spray by Heinie Care

So that’s what that was. Saw one in Hungary and I wondered why the hell someone would make a toilet created so your business drops on a dry porcelain shelf in the back where it can easily smear rather than in the water to help keep the toilet clean. Were they really invented so people could inspect their leavings for parasites? Well, it’s 2016, so why are these still a thing in modern Europe?

1 Like

because the useful life of a toilet is measured in decades? I don’t think that many new “show your shit” bowls were installed in the last 20+ years.

7 Likes

Good point. But even twenty years old is 1996, which seems way too late for people to still need to literally inspect their crap every time they take one at the expense of having to scrub the toilet as often as every flush :open_mouth:

I am not the most informed toilet expert but for new/refitted bath rooms it seems likely that the “Flachspüler” died earlier. At a guess all shelf toilets I had the honour to use were installed not later than the 60s/70s.

The 20 years I mentioned are more or less the time I did not see this type in real life.

3 Likes

You obviously don’t want to find out by experience that you’ve chosen a product that doesn’t do it this way; but ‘denatonium’(sounds pyrotechnic, actually named for its utility in denaturing things), tastes absolutely horrific; but shouldn’t be particularly irritiating on skin or mucous membrane exposure; certainly more pleasant than any of the options you note.

1 Like

A full ban would be pretty tricky; but at least forcing people to stop labeling them as ‘flushable’, when basically all the wonderful people who dedicate their careers to keeping us from drinking our own shit say that they aren’t seems like it should be doable.

I’m not sure how you could justify a generalized ban on all quasi-textile modified cellulose rag/cleaning products; especially since the ones that aren’t lotiony-moisturized are commonly used in other cleaning applications and not flushed; but the current “Things that actively destroy sanitation systems openly marketed as 'flushable” situation seems like insanity.

4 Likes

I don’t know if any hand sanitizers mention having “denaturing” chemicals, let alone which ones specifically. Seems like the kind of thing you should say upfront rather than just let people drink hand sanitizer and then get sick, call poison control and have no information on what the bad thing they ingested was.

1 Like

For regulatory reasons, most high-ethanol goods that aren’t booze are denatured in one way or another(lab-grade ethanol is an exception, since denaturing agents are obviously chemical impurities; according to a few of my professors this fact did…not go unexploited… during their grad-school days); but my (layman’s, don’t base your drinking choices on it) understanding is that skin absorption is enough of a risk that hand sanitizers don’t usually go with the more toxic choices like ‘eh, just add methanol’, hence the enthusiasm among populations without access to real booze for drinking Purell, which has bitterants and a bit of isopropanol; but is mostly ethanol.

(edit: the real glory days of ‘denaturants’ were during prohibition; when the feds were trying to crack down on industrial alcohol being reprocessed for beverage use. Some…unkind remarks…were made about the perversity of the fact that the government was encouraging the development of poisons that would be tricky to remove; and mandating their addition to alcohol it knew some people would be trying to drink.)

3 Likes

Yes, we have a grinder pump that gave out last year (9 years after the original one failed, and that one went 11 years). The technician revealed a big bale of wipes that had accumulated over the course of raising two children. It stayed a the top of the tank(?), causing it to fill up more quickly and run the pump more often.

ETA:

It doesn’t… The pump (mine, anyway) grinds from the bottom but wipes float to the top and stay there.

3 Likes

Same with VapoRub. It is not good for chafing. Not there, anyway.

6 Likes

Wait, you mean Vick’s doesn’t make a hemorrhoid cream? That’s it! No more Mexican discount pharmacies for me! I knew something was off… I suppose my first clue should have been that “Crema de Hemorroides” looked like it was printed on a home label maker… :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Ew… This was thigh chafing, which could be helped with plain petrolatum. But it was close enough to the nether regions where the “VapoRub” did what it’s supposed to, just not where it’s supposed to.

1 Like

I’m wondering why they didn’t team up with our Bhangra guys to bring the message home?

Obviously they do…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.