Stop flushing shit besides TP and shit down your toilet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/25/stop-flushing-shit-besides-tp.html

5 Likes
12 Likes

Ah yup.

13 Likes

I think I’ll keep right on flushing urine, thank you.

7 Likes

The damage of wipes to urban sewer systems is a constant discussion I get roped into. The local sewer district has a rather popular Twitter account. Someone regularly insists it is a waste of money and I find myself point out that even preventing one fatberg through better practices will quickly pay for the social media person.

6 Likes

Growing up in Venezuela the plumbing there is typically not very reliable so as a rule people just know that even TP can’t be flushed down. For Americans its probably unthinkable to discard used TP in a waste basket but growing up that’s just how you do and as long as the waste basket gets changed out regularly you don’t really get any unwanted smells.

4 Likes

Why are the sleazy companies allowed to advertise these wipes as “flushable”?

11 Likes

same reason hand sanitizers get to say “Kills* more than 99.99% of most common germs”
there’s a little asterisk next to the key word with fine print on the bottom of the package clarifying
*by “Kill” we actually mean “moves them around a bit”

5 Likes

Well that fuckin sucks

2 Likes

Well, they technically are flushable, although it’s a terrible idea to do so.

Not a lie, just bad practices.

“Flushable” sure, I mean, it leaves the house, right?
Who worries after that? :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

I’m pooping forty golf balls right now

5 Likes

Flushable wipe manufacturers should be footing the bill for for fatburg removal.

10 Likes

I think that companies that empty septic systems are going to have to change their protocol forever.

Macerating toilets… to the rescue! (These puppies have a macerator – not unlike the blender-like chopping device in your dishwasher – to liquify tougher stuff.)

https://www.hunker.com/13400920/what-is-a-macerator-toilet

1 Like

if it’s yellow, let it mellow.
if it’s brown, flush it down!

4 Likes

If it didn’t come out of your body, don’t put it in the potty.

– BM (HAHA!) Mantra

)`(

It’s funny you mention that, because I very much flush nail clippings and have started to question whether that’s OK.

Oh, so many bad memories of plunging non-TP material out of narrow, old pipes. So. Many. Bad. Memories.

1 Like