HAL's voice sounds unsettling because it's Canadian

Yeah! No Canadian has ever said ‘aboot’ unless they were talking about footwear.

4 Likes

your Geese and Ganders both :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah; we do have regional accents, just not as strong as the U.S.

2 Likes

Our office Canadian is strangely proud of this finding.

I’m not letting him near any doors.

10 Likes

Newfoundland would like to disagree.

That accent is amazing - there’s Canadian, Irish, a bit of Scottish and a strong West County English accent in there.

3 Likes

In my head, I hear that in a Letterkenny accent.

6 Likes

I’m glad too

1 Like

And yet he was nearly half the voices of the animated series that didn’t belong to the main cast. So talented!

4 Likes

Came to make the Canadian / HAL apology joke if I did not find it. Found it first post. Well done, Bravo Zulu, carry on.

3 Likes

But seriously, though. He needs to see the damned movie.

5 Likes

It was never an explicit policy, but that particular stretch of Hastings Street has been a focal point of suffering since at least the 1940s and possibly earlier. The last 25 years have been particularly awful (highest concentration of HIV in North America, poorest postal code in Canada).

There is some positive change happening, but it is a hard circle to square.

2 Likes

Gee, I always thought it was the entire concept of HAL that was unsettling, especially when he attempted (and almost succeeded) killing the entire crew… silly me.

5 Likes

“I’m sorry” is as Canadian as knowing many Daves.

6 Likes

Sinister Canadians, eh?

Yeah, but he did it with a “neutral” accent!
Seriously though, the accent isn’t what makes it unsettling, the “Canadianness” of it is just what made it seem machine-like, rather than menacing. The Canadian “neutral” accent actually became, post-2001, the default for machine voices, influencing Alexa, Siri, etc.

3 Likes

Have you ever actually talked to a Canadian? [shivers]

10 Likes

worth noting that the article claims that he never saw the movie

how is that possible?

40+ years after a key role in a classic film and you never bothered to see it?

What sort of chip on your shoulder causes that choice…

1 Like

Donald Pleasance had that similar focused, creepy voice as well.

3 Likes

:smiley: That’s not the “HAL” accent though (and maybe I’m betraying a little mid-Continental bias in my description), I have met people from Newfoundland who sound like they’re straight from Ireland, and others who sound like they’re from Toronto, so they have some real regional variations even within Newfoundland. The actor who did HAL is from Winnipeg, and might be more likely to have a slight western drawl, but probably worked at removing a tell-tale regional accent. Athough my former boss was also from Winnipeg, and could have been from almost anywhere in Canada.
I worked with a Nova Scotian from Louisbourg, who sounded more Scottish than anything.

The simplest explanation I can think of for why he didn’t see this film is that he is in fact a robot.

Seriously, guys - take a stress pill and think things over.

1 Like