Hammacher Schlemmer is selling a $95,000 Hippopotamine Sofa

What is that… a sofa for ants???

1 Like

where’s the guillotine watch tag?

1 Like

8 Likes

This quote from @Gracchus’s article above might explain it:

Hammacher Schlemmer’s policy has long been to remove product logos and brand names from its catalog. In the 1980s and ’90s, this was just another example of the retailer’s quirks, a vague gesture toward the privilege of ignorance: Just give me the best vacuum, I don’t care who makes it or how much it costs.

Still. Weird, and makes me feel bad for Martin and Wintergatan to see their stuff shilled without credit in The Most Ridiculous Catalog.

9 Likes

My wife and I are planning on building a “pretty passive” grade house in terms of insulation and solar gain, but have been mainlining Fine Home Building, Green Building Advisor and the Building
Science Corp. Having learned about how leaky FLW buildings tended to be, this didn’t sit right with me either…

2 Likes

All sales final in Florida.

1 Like

Hammacher Schlemmer is selling a $95,000 Hippopotamine Sofa

“Selling” might be stretching it a bit.

2 Likes

Screw that. I can run outside for free.

[thinks to self] …But if I had a treadmill in my home, I could run naked…

Like I said…

4 Likes

Especially considering how much time and effort he’s put into MMX. (I’ve been following his youtube channel for a while and it’s interesting to see the effort, side trips, and failed attempts for the new version.)

2 Likes

Better prices, better selection:

1 Like

From the article you linked to:

We never actually ordered anything from it, but I liked to daydream about belonging to a family who did. Whereas my real parents’ mail-order shopping was limited to the occasional windbreaker from Lands’ End, my imaginary Hammacher mom and dad purchased hovercraft, personal submarines, and giant floating trampolines with abandon. They knew how to party.

This is exactly what I always think when I hear about HS. Has anyone ever actually met anyone that ordered anything from them? I’ve never once in my life come across someone that has anything from HS. Weird.

3 Likes

In /blog view, this segues seamlessly into the post below it–an ad for gravity blankets on the BoingBoing Store.

For that price it should be fully* functional, living hippopotamus sofa, which would comfortably carry the owner across savanna wherever they wish so.

*preferably it should not include owner-consuming functionality

1 Like

This opens up so many possibilities:

And then there’s some of the living furniture written of in several books by Frank Herbert; chairdogs and bedogs.

4 Likes

Not saying anyone at Hammacher Schlemmer watched a little too much Despicable Me, but…

Just sayin’…

6 Likes

For 95K, that hippopotamus had better be able to ace my kid’s SATs and get her a sweet recruitment deal from the rowing team.

3 Likes

The Hippopotamine Sofa looks like it only seats two. I call false advertising! It Should be a Hippopotamine Loveseat.

1 Like

They also include this exact video on the site of Molin performing the machine, so they’re clearly giving him credit.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.