Handy Pokemon Go tips

Yeah. I just wish the game wouldnt give me an order of magnitude more revives than potions. It makes it difficult to train my gyms.

This was a deliberate choice. They wanted people to be out talking to each other/giving tips (and posting tutorials online). It worked early on when there were a lot of new players - when I was at a park/place with a lot of lit stops there were regular conversations going on about how to do various things in the game. Now that most people have sorted things out there’s less of that (besides the endlessly growing body of online tutorials).

1 Like

I generally delete revives once i hit a certain number. I used to carry around 40-50, now i delete them down to 10, and for the basic health potions i keep around 50 and delete them if i get too many.

2 Likes

I wonder if there’s some bias specific stops have towards some kind of item…

If you happen to be somewhere where there are a lot of stops, you can free up some space and then grind away. I have >100 hyper potions now (and too many revives) - it’s the great/ultra balls I’m always wanting more of. If you can hit 10 different stops within around 30 mins, there’s a 10th stop bonus that drops a ton of items and tends to mix things up more.

1 Like

I do wonder if some stops have an item bias. Like 20% odds of getting a health potion at one stop vs another stop having it much lower. This would probably need to be something that a person has to document and then see if there’s a trend for a given stop or if it truly is random.

My hunch is that it’s just totally random.

1 Like

That was baffling to me. The game even opens with this professor dude who I assumed was going to be some kind of in-game guide and then he basically doesn’t give you any tips or instructions whatsoever. Not even a link to a web site.

2 Likes

I’m willing to bet they’ll either change some stuff (like available documentation) or put out a new version for xmas.

2 Likes

“Hey kids! I’m professor creepy dude. There are magical creatures out in the world. Without any parental supervision, go running off into the wilderness to find dead bodies and fall down cliffs while you’re searching for these [insert 80s satanic magic paranoia adjective here] creatures! But don’t bother asking me what you should do. You’ll have to google that shit yourself.”

3 Likes

You’ve got it all wrong! Blindly muddling through and accidentally stumbling across basic functionalities and guessing-and-testing is all part of the magic of the game!

You do like magic don’t you? Or are you one of those adult squares?

:wink:

2 Likes

I was impressed by that game “Cut the Rope” because they managed to fit the entire instruction manual into the title.

3 Likes

I just did that ̶k̶i̶l̶l̶ faint my pokemon thing at an opposing gym just to use my revives yesterday. It is much easier to take an enemy gym than to level up one of your own in my opinion.

Don’t worry, this game chews through my iPhone battery in about an hour or so. I never had an extra battery pack until this game required it!

Nothing sadder than walking my special 6 pokestops in 5 minutes path at the local library to grind to get potions and stuff and see that “Your bag is full” sign at the pokestop I just wasted a spin on. Also, your so fancy to be able to get rid of the weak potions. :wink: I usually drop revives and regular pokeballs since there are sooo many.

3 Likes

I think you mean the opposite. Training a gym requires you to use a single Pokémon and win battles to level it up. To get your own Pokémon back to full health you would need potions not revives.

Taking a gym allows you six Pokémon to win battles to level it down. To get your own defeated Pokémon back to health after the battles you would use a revive to get back half the hit points and potions for the rest of the way.

That’s what I said. Revives are useless for leveling up gyms you already claimed, but pokestops have been paying out an order of magnitude more revives than potions for me. And capturing a gym is a lot easier, quicker and less expensive in revives than leveling up a gym you already have in terms of potions.

It takes maybe 2 revives for me to take over most gyms in my area. But it can take dozens of potions to level that gym up twice once I own it.

2 Likes

Sorry. I got lost on the “wouldn’t” and the “than”. I understand now and we are in perfect agreement. More potions for everyone!! (Unless we are on different teams…)

1 Like

I am not ashamed to admit i’ve bought pokecoins maybe 2-3 times to expand my inventory size. And i’ve also grinded taking over gyms to earn the coins to also get more inventory space. I’m at 700 items worth of space and i still feel like i could use more space

2 Likes

Inventory management. The bane of many RPGs.

Like skyrim, when you pick up that one last piece of bread in the house and suddenly you have broken ankles and have to dump stuff.

1 Like

Don’t play in a minefield
Don’t play while driving
Playing will make you look silly. Don’t fight it.

Yes, that’ one’s aggravating, the app really should give you a notice when you’re close to full so you can do inventory management before you do a lost spin.

I have a Snorlax with 200 hp (soon to be powered up more). I’d have to use use 10 regular potions to get it back to max, or 1 hyper potion, so ditching the weak ones makes room for the better ones. I’m usually low on regular balls. At level 23 most Pidgies/Rattatas are a struggle to get with three balls but I always want that precious dust.

1 Like

Do you throw curveballs? They should be able to catch pidgeys first shot w/ a regular ball up to around 150cp most of the time.

1 Like

I throw curves mostly. I am sometimes out walking the dog who adds to the challenge of accuracy. I’m always happy to find a nice weak one, but there are a lot that are 200-300+ (it’ll be worse when I hit 24 soon), and they always have the orange circle of despair.

1 Like