Happy 30th Anniversary to They Might Be Giants' iconic "Flood" album

It’s certainly held up better than “U Can’t Touch This” (sorry, Hammer).

I think I’ve seen TMBG in concert 5 times now. “Birdhouse” and “Istanbul” send tingles down my spine every time.

3 Likes

Wow. Feeling old now. The very first cassette I bought with my own money. Great album. I listened until the tape wore out.

2 Likes

omg, i had no idea Mississippi Nights was gone! that place was legendary.

2 Likes

Still hands down my most favorite venue.

1 Like

I got this and Lincoln and certainly enjoyed them a lot but honestly I thought they never again matched the crazy genius of their self-titled debut.

2 Likes

i used to love listening to live broadcasts by WMRY from Mississippi Nights (long live The Eyes)

1 Like

In the 80s, saw TMBG at First Avenue. They had to calm down the mosh pit after the opening punk band.

2 Likes

Oh good times. There is a station I miss and alas gone as well.

1 Like

WMRY and (the old) KSHE are two things i talk about often. They are among the things i miss from STL back in the day.

2 Likes

They made my eyes rain…

2 Likes

Heck, I remember calling their “Dial a Song” recordings, and it looks like someone has kindly posted some of those on Youtube:

Yes, they were young, John and John. Their cerebral funster tunes replete with wit and cultural criticisms must keep them young!

4 Likes

There’s dozens of groups doing that now, wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t one in any given major city.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.