Happy Birthday, Chadwick Boseman

Originally published at: Happy Birthday, Chadwick Boseman | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Don’t forget Michael Jai White’s Spawn a year before Blade.

6 Likes

IIRC Jaime Fox really wants to do a Spawn movie. I say go for it!

2 Likes

To pick one of the many reasons for Chadwick’s greatness, it’s the insight into the accent for T’Challa. The interview goes into more, but the gist is that Wakanda was never colonized. Going with the “easy” choice of an European accent would only further white supremacy.

The sad in my heart is that Chadwick will never walk into a Disney park and see Wakanda. I only hope that whenever that is built, there is some meaningful memorial to Chadwick / T’Challa.

5 Likes

This popular mural was put in the Downtown Disney shopping area years ago.

1 Like

He was amazing in “Get On Up”, and his appearance in “Da 5 Bloods” is a heartbreaker.

Peace :pray:

5 Likes

Yes! An amazing work by Nikkolas Smith. I wish I was able to see it what it’s still up at Downtown Disney, but thankfully it was relocated to the LA Children’s Hospital. A very fitting place considering Chadwick’s work with children while he was going through treatment.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CON0esWlzEo/?hl=en

2 Likes

Another one that he was amazing in was Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom…

Also, his appearance onf Black Jeopardy is one of the two best versions of that sketch, with the Tom Hanks one being the other…

@dnealy, you ever seen this? Pure comedy gold.

4 Likes

I LOVE that sketch; and the Tom Hanks one is equally dope.

Boseman was a real one and an absolute superstar.

3 Likes

Both important milestones for Black representation in superhero movies, but one thing that made Black Panther special was that being a Black African was an inexorable part of T’Challa’s identity whereas you theoretically could have swapped a white actor into the role of Blade or Spawn without making any fundamental changes to the story or character background.

2 Likes

They are the 2 best of the Black Jeopardy sketches for sure…

He was. I enjoyed seeing his performances and I’m really sad that his life was cut so short…

1 Like

Rest in power, king.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.