Why no WHITE PANTHER?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/21/why-no-white-panther.html

8 Likes

raw

9 Likes

I saw a White Panther once.

7 Likes

I’m riding a White Panther right now.

21 Likes

Is that code for…

13 Likes

It’s been a long ass time since I watched anything Mega64 related

It was even referenced (potentially teased) in an end credit scene.

For better or for worse the Black Panther was created by a bunch of white dudes to capitalize on the then nascent pan-african movement and the civil rights struggle. 50 years ago. I mean the guys who actually did the work had the best intentions and it’s surprisingly not fucked up given the era. But yeah there’s a white equivalent to Black Panther. And m’Baku’s comic equivalent is named “White Gorilla” and straight up dressed in a full on Gorilla Costume.

Videos great way to execute that particular joke. Hard thing to pull off without dropping the ball.

10 Likes

It would be “Albino Panther”.

Also, fucking LOVED that Pink Panther/Black Panther mashup.

12 Likes

Dunno.
Market saturation?

This movie could be pretty dang interesting:

http://makemyday.free.fr/whitepanthers.htm

Not interested in seeing this poor critter who has a hard life as it is:

Have never even heard of this movie:

… sounds confusing.

Never heard of this movie either:

10 Likes

Brain fart after seeing Black Panther: they could put Nakia in a stealthy, espionage themed suit and call her Blank Panther

1 Like

There’s already The Phantom, which has been around since 1936. Certainly a lot of similarities:

"In the jungles of the (fictional) African country Bangalla, there is a myth about “The Ghost Who Walks”, “The Man Who Cannot Die”, The Phantom. Because he seems to have been around for generations, people around the world believe him to be immortal. In reality, the Phantom is descended from twenty previous generations of crime-fighters who all adopt the same persona. When a new Phantom takes up the mantle from his dying father, he has to swear the Oath of the Skull: “I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty, and injustice, in all their forms, and my sons and their sons shall follow me.” Frequently the comic highlights the adventures of previous Phantoms, set in the past.

Today’s Phantom is the twenty-first in the line. Unlike most costume heroes, he has no superhuman powers, relying only on his wits, physical brawn, skill with his weapons and fearsome reputation to fight crime."

http://www.phantomwiki.org/The_Phantom

7 Likes

Melanism is not the opposite of albinism.

Also, given the way albinos are seen in many African societies:

ETA: @j9c got the Wikipedia link which states albinism might be a reason for white cats. As a biologist, I am a bit annoyed by this stance, but I’ll accept that in general usage, I am wrong and @Mister44 is correct.

9 Likes

Should you be texting while doing that? (Whatever “that” is.)

11 Likes

“Don’t ride the white…”, oh, that’s not a horse, uh, carry on!

4 Likes

Don’t go complaining that this isn’t a panther, now, okay? Because it is.

11 Likes

Holy shit - stop the presses! It happened! It finally happened! I was right about something! I wasn’t even trying to be right this time. It was more of a tongue in cheek statement. :wink:

20 Likes

Love Harvey Birdman.

3 Likes

Interestingly that image is apparently sourced from here:

Which is one of my top Google Image results for “panthro”.

Which doesn’t seem to note that part of the reason we read panthro as black is that his voice actor was.

2 Likes

Not their best track, but wow did 70’s bands love their, ah…spirit animals.

3 Likes

The panther is like a leopard,
Except it hasn’t been peppered.
Should you behold a panther crouch,
Prepare to say Ouch.
Better yet, if called by a panther,
Don’t anther.

Ogden Nash

10 Likes