Why no WHITE PANTHER?

You mean, the end scene with Bucky and those kids calling him white wolf? I had no idea!

4 Likes

No, it’s worse than that. His supervillain name is Man-Ape. There’s a good reason they left that out of the movie.

There’s also White Tiger, who is usually a Latino character.

5 Likes

Stan Lee likely is the one you’re thinking of. Jack Kirby, however, had good intentions because he wanted more characters that reflected his readership and friends.

3 Likes

Oh yeah I think white gorilla is some other villain. Maybe DC or something low rent.

Thing is they didn’t. His costume still references a Gorilla. He wears a carved gorilla mask at one point. The Jabari still worship a gorilla/monkey god. They didn’t take it out. They just made it work, ditched the accidental racism. Let it reference actual African culture. Avoided phrases like “man ape”. Fucking threading the needle really. There’s enough to stay true to and reference the comics, but it avoids all of the problems with staying true to and referencing the comics.

@Mindysan33

Yeah. It’s probably just an Easter Egg but people are speculating Bucky will take on that name or otherwise become an agent of wakanda instead of taking over as Capitain America if Chris Evans leaves. Which itself assumes that’s happening and Marvel has a plan to keep the names going rather than replacing the heroes with more recently introduced ones.

@Exonauts

Even Stan Lee was always a pretty progressive guy. Most of the important stuff about the panther was fleshed out by a different writer. Who was given clearance to do what he wanted with the character after complaining their failing jungle adventure series didn’t feature any African protagonists. There’s a lot of Kirby and Lee in there. And they only kept publishing to chase what looked like a money making trend. But there were several other guys involved in making the panther a thing. And the character’s early history is loaded with people saying “wait why don’t we have a black guy with powers?” and “wait why are all these African characters just grass skirts and spears?”

It’s pretty interesting when you poke it with a stick.

Eta: oh and the phantom along with the shadow, Solomon cane. And a few other pulp Heros were hugely influential in nearly all super heroes.

5 Likes

What the hell was that all about? It was like watching a mini episode of The Office.

Hey, it’s Phantom Limb!

9 Likes

bowie-phantom-limb

16 Likes

Anybody else having to wait like a full minute before YouTube embeds even appear on this site? Every single other part of the page loads, including a bunch of big ad images, and I still have to wait a minute to even see the black div.

If there’s any way to avoid lazy loading (or at least trigger youtube loading before the ads) for articles where the video content isn’t incidental, but is in fact basically the whole point (most of the video posts on this site), then please do that.

1 Like

Black Panther and White Panther team up with Captain America to punch fascists?

Yeah, I’d pay to watch it.

5 Likes

Just install ublock origin. It really enhances your browsing experience. Your security too.

3 Likes
2 Likes

And on a phone?

(Last I heard, that’s not available for phones.)

Ublock origin works fine as an extension in Firefox for Android.

I also use a tool called Blokada which is basically a locally hosted vpn with blocklists that can stop ad traffic in apps as well.

4 Likes

Hmm, Chrome’s working fine for me otherwise, not sure I wanna switch to Firefox… urgh

Blokada is still a good idea. It blocks stuff right at the network adapter. It’ll work with any browser you happen to use. Kind of like a hosts file on your computer.

3 Likes

I’ll check that out. Just uninstalled this kinda broken version of ADP I dug up for Android that was supposed to work the same way.

Still, the people running BoingBoing should fix their site. If they had broken styles, I could run a user stylesheet. But should I have to? It’s better for everybody involved if the site works as intended without a workaround.

3 Likes

Why did we have a Greatest American Hero, but no Lamest American Hero?

1 Like
5 Likes

Hey now, the Tick isn’t the sharpest bug on the planet, but I wouldn’t call him lame!

5 Likes

Yeah Lamest American Hero isG’nort.

1 Like