Happy Birthday, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!

Originally published at: Happy Birthday, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth! | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Cool! :sunglasses: :call_me_hand:

6 Likes

Bitchen from the engine kitchen! Hip happening Daddy’Os!

6 Likes

(just to include one central piece o’ fine rAt)

10 Likes

The eponymous documentary that’s from is worth a watch. I was a huge fan of his back in the 60s, alas my mom threw away all my ratfink stuff when I went off to college.

7 Likes

The hate for Chrysler is fine, but don’t go hating on Nader. He was saving lives.

7 Likes

The Surfite, my favorite Roth creation.

9 Likes

Junkyard - album by The Birthday Party - wikipedja

The cover art is by Ed Roth and Dave Christensen.

5 Likes

This this is Ed newtons daughter Suzanne and I hate to be able he bearer of bad news but Ed Roth was a fake and a thief h stole hundreds of pieces of work from my dad .
That’s where rat fink really came from my dad drew the rat depicting Ed Roth one night at a art function he drew it on a piece of napkin as he watch d Ed across the he room all dirty and fat going on about some artwork my dad had drawn but he was taking credit for…later this on rat fink blew up and once again ed roth took credit for the he drawing.why my dad didn’t speak up is very personal but it’s the truth when my mom and dad divorced my mother told the courts my dad molested me and my sister ,of course winning the custody case my dad went to work for long time friend Ed Roth who suggested he sign all his work Roach as to not get bad publicity.ten years later I find out my sister tells me mom just made her say he did those things.and for all the hose years Ed Roth was stealing my dad’s artwork and claiming it to be his…My dad was smart for nough to hide my name and other hidden things to prove later it was his work not Roth’s.so sorry all the ou Roth fans time consuming o re think re-rat work and praise were it belongs
Thank you Suzanne newton

2 Likes

Love those designs. I remember a book with pictures of them in my elementary school back in the 80s. The future was so bright. Thinking these are what cars look like. Now with electric chassis, these designs could be built so much easier. I used to be a motorhead, maybe I have plans for my retirement now.

1 Like

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

5 Likes

where is mothers worry I ask

1 Like

I love the Panthermobile, the Surfite and the Roach Coach; all bonkers designs and mobile works of wart.

1 Like

1 Like

The first mail-order shirt I ever bought was from Big Daddy Roth, a white t-shirt with a drawing of a blown, fuel-injected Chrysler 426 Hemi on the front. Got sent home from school for wearing a shirt with an image on it. Los Angeles Unified School District 1967. Loved that coffee cake though.

1 Like

Those were the days. Adult horror of kids wearing shirts with this kind of decoration inspired an episode of Leave It to Beaver:

(Apparently inspired by Roth’s designs.)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.