Happy Birthday, Lars Von Trier

Lars von Trier has a number of films where he’s being transparently emotionally manipulative. I liked the Kingdom. I liked Melancholia, I liked Zentropa. Three films that toned down that impulse. But Dancer in the Dark and Breaking the Waves were exhausting.

1 Like

I would say The Five Obstructions is a decent film, but it should be pointed out that while Trier is making the rules, the film is mostly about Jorgen Leth and his process.

Still an asshole, though.

7 Likes

I’ve seen that, and again I was like, just what is the point of this guy’s making life difficult for someone else? Oh yeah, the cruelty, that’s it. As we say about Republican assholes i guess, The cruelty is the point. Ugh.

8 Likes

Don’t know the guy but I would side on calling him a 'shit stirrer rather than elevating him to ‘provocateur’ (a wanky word in a wanky discourse)

I loved the film “The Idiots”

I think ‘critique’ and ‘understand context’ would be better than “appreciate” re artists.

But hey, sometimes a shit stain is a shit stain.

In the 2000s, when I was in my 20s, he was one of my favorites. But the ways I’ve grown since then, and the ways he’s revealed a lack of growth since then have completely destroyed any interest I had in this creep’s work.

1 Like

I saw some of how the guy was when he was in Bayreuth to direct Wagner’s Ring cycle. He’s not really all that complex, he’s just a jerk who loves trolling people. Even sitting at a cafe, he would be a jerk to gain attention.

He comes across as someone who does scandalous stuff simply to get moneyattention, not because he believes in what he’s trying to say.

3 Likes

Breaking the Waves was the last one I watched. I loved The Element of Crime and Europa, but BtW was just no. And I am NEVER going to watch a movie plot be cruel to Bjork. Everything since sounds like audience torture. Fuck Lars.

You know, it’s Wes Anderson and John Woo’s birthday today, let’s talk about them instead!

6 Likes

The musical scenes are great-- but, of course, Bjork’s character is doomed.

The naive reader sometimes asks why a fictional character in a book acts in a certain way-- and the answer almost always comes down to serving the needs of a plot. In Dancer, Trier railroads Selma towards her doom, because that is how Trier will achieve a certain emotional effect in his audience.

If the intent is deconstruct the melodrama, I think I prefer Todd Haynes.

1 Like

Yeah, happy birthday, asshole. Now fuck off.

6 Likes

Hear, hear!

An apt pair, actually, as Anderson shows us you can be stylish without being exploitative and Woo that you can show violence without being gratuitously cruel.

12 Likes

Also Barry Gibbs’ dog’s birthday, which gave us this.

3 Likes

you could say that…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.