Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

As a beverage, glaze, dipping sauce, or side dish?

(I vote for all of the above!)

9 Likes

tenor (4)

9 Likes

Meyer lemon marmalade from my backyard harvest:

My first attempt ever! I admit I did a little happy dance as each jar made that satisfying “pop” as the vacuum took.

18 Likes

I have a new lemon tree.
Only one lemon this season. I Hope I can share the same story someday. :lemon::lemon::lemon::lemon:
Cheers!

9 Likes

I am contemplating getting a small cinnamon plant. The full tree can grow 30 feet high, but it’s too cold in Chicago to keep it outdoors. It would be neat to have a greenhouse with cinnamon, cacao, and vanillla plants.

10 Likes

What a cool idea!

4 Likes

Moar bread

16 Likes

Now you’re just loafing around.

8 Likes

One of the small cafes near us had coffee seedlings, my better half said we have enough plants at home :frowning:

6 Likes

Husband’s work has a yearly pie contest. They did it via pics and zoom this year. He won with his apple/ginger pie using young ginger from our garden. The ginger was quite subtle. It is delicious and pretty.

22 Likes

that is one purty pie, right there!

so, I’ve been thinking to grow some ginger myself. what type/ variety are you growing? are there that many types? also, was the flavor in this pie subtle due to amount used, or is your ginger a less robustly flavored cultivar?

10 Likes

Found my grandfather’s waffle iron in the basement and found a power cord for it on Ebay. Turns out it still works, been about 20 years since we used it.

Tried this recipe

And it turned out really good, a lot simpler than most of the other yeast waffle recipes I’ve tried and they turned out better.

16 Likes

So pretty! Both the cross-section and the top view. I love the petals. Looks like it leads to more crunchy, toasty bits, too. A feast for the eyes as well as the mouth!

16 Likes

It was volunteer ginger. We built our raised garden last winter and had dumped some kitchen scraps in with the dirt before we had our composter. The ginger decided to grow and we let it, to see what happened. So, normal grocery ginger! I have some of the volunteers in a pot now, to see what it’s like come spring. We are turning and amending the raised garden, so it couldn’t stay there.
The taste was subtle because of when we pulled the ginger. It was still young, usually you let it grow all winter. It had a bright and less intense taste than mature ginger and was far less fibrous. I ate a bit straight and there was almost none of the usual spiciness.
You can grow it in pots pretty easily according to the interwebs.

12 Likes

Grilled tri-tip, sliced up rare, with a tarragon beurre blanc sauce and a salad with chopped grilled scallions.

If you like meat, beurre blanc is easy to make, and is worth learning how to make. It makes the meal. I like a steak with A-1 or worcestershire or a pat of butter just like the next person, but a sauce like this or an espagnole pulls it all together and steps it up a level or two. You can literally take a ten dollar cut of meat and make it restaurant-quality with proper cooking and a 15 minute sauce.

13 Likes

That ROCKS!

5 Likes

That’s two toaster wires connected directly to the wall socket.

That burns down houses.

But it makes the best fucking waffles.

8 Likes

g’dang that tri tip done rare looks A-maze-balls! I can eyeball taste that!
query: buerre blanc, I understand that, but how does it compare to munierre? which seems to be tenderized cuts, cooked in a citrus/ butter? there us a dish here in the Keys of conch munierre, using a tenderized conch, battered, lightly fried in butter and served with Key lime- butter sauce and I wonder if

or a very tough, rubber-tire-texture shellfish can be so tender and tasty by (is it the butter, the citrus, or…)

Aaaand also food topically -

lionfish tacos on the dock at Keys Fisheries in Marathon today (taco Tuesday).

16 Likes

How tasty is lion fish? I like the idea for conservation, but I’ve never had it.

10 Likes

Different sauces for different situations. The lemon based Meunière sauce is more delicate for sole or other white fishes. The beurre blanc is wine and vinegar-based, with acidic intensity, more appropriate for a heartier meat. Could you put a Meunière on a steak? Sure! Would a beurre blanc destroy someone’s sole? Naw. I’d eat that.

Your fish dish looks amazing!

9 Likes