Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Thanks! We tried a few of each earlier this week.
We did the liver like that and served with a red wine/mushroom/onion sauce. It (the liver) got the crusty bits like you said, but I think we cooked just a bit too long. It was tasty, but less tender than expected. Next time would clean the skillet between batches, too, because the second batch got smoky.
The kidneys were left whole and stayed really tender.

6 Likes

Quail eggs are great for mini scotch eggs. Then you can have two without feeling your arteries clog.

8 Likes

I agree, I think quail eggs have their place.
My college roommate brought me some pickled quail eggs from her home town, and they were great. Much nicer (IMO) than pickled chicken eggs, just a nicer ratio of white to yolk.
Aside from the overnight oats I like everything on that list. But where I am, the “pretty” carrots cost the same as the regular orange ones, so :woman_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

So they’re like mini chicken eggs then? That’s kinda cheating.

I used to eat oatmeal for breakfast every morning as I started work. Got made fun of for it. Then, decades later, the hipsters started doing it. Only instead it was pretentious oatmeal that needs to be prepared overnight but otherwise isn’t significantly better, or even significantly different. Because of course it was :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

They have a much higher ratio of yolk to white, and the yolk is generally richer and fattier.

A bit more like duck eggs if you’ve ever had one of those, but tiny of course.

6 Likes
8 Likes

the pepper harvest is finally over, time to gear up and make the hot sauce.

three types - habanero, Brazilian star pepper and one that is a red and green chili blend. the puree, the cook-up and the clean up were tough, beings that the air was thick with capsicum. masks definitely required!
(and open windows, fans blowing out the windows and exhaust fan full blast over the cooktop)
:fire: HOT :fire:

16 Likes

Made a vegetarian stew. Used soy curls in place of the beef. Added a can of Guinness. Made rosemary biscuits to go with it.

(need to start talking pictures in kitchen instead of dining room… Don’t like the lighting there)

14 Likes

YUM! Guinness, aside from being food in and of itself is such a great ingredient in other foods (like my signature Guinness bread), Guinness ice cream or Guinness chocolate cake.
my brother even introduced me to a great Guinness float of ice cream, chocolate syrup, espresso and Guinness stout. take your breath away tasty, that’s what that is!

9 Likes

So appreciate you showing the safety gear that is needed to do this correctly.
If you make a mistake and touch anything on your body… uno

9 Likes

Exactly. That’s like a small bush of jalapeños alone, and another one of habaneros. Gloves are a must, as are goggles, and never ever ever wear contact lenses!

7 Likes

An entire neighborhood in CA had an air quality emergency because a restaurant (Thai) was making its year’s supply of red chili paste.

14 Likes

Guinness float? That sounds awesome!

7 Likes

HazMat Sauce!

11 Likes

I have one simple rule when making a curry. If I can cook it without gagging, it’s not hot enough.

8 Likes

A Malay friend explains “it’s not a curry 'til you cough”.

10 Likes

And I thought it was bad when my eyes get irritated when I sauteed garlic and onion.

12 Likes

Intriguing!
Is there a ratio of stout:espresso:chocolate? It sounds like a thing that could go badly if there’s too much of one or the other.

6 Likes

So cool!
Project Gutenberg is a library of over 60,000 free eBooks including Cook Books.

13 Likes

this particular concoction was an offering at a wonderful coffee house in the university district of Seattle called The Last Exit. when my brother was an undergrad at UW, we would hang out there and enjoy the coffee and this treat. it has been a while since then (like 30+ years), but I recall a scoop of vanilla ice cream in a parfait type glass, a squirt of chocolate syrup, a shot of espresso and topped up with Guinness (which, of course, gets very frothy!)

6 Likes