Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Aw, shoot. How bout if I throw in some busted up Saltines?

11 Likes

Onions, celery, clams, and bay leaves and we’ve got Manhattan clam chowder…

11 Likes

Done! And I’ll bring the rum.

7 Likes

Sounds like the recipe for a fat-added gazpacho. Not sure how I feel about that.
And yet no obesity epidemic back then. :woman_shrugging:t2:

9 Likes

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/12/30/russias-frozen-ramen-challenge-returns-in-below-zero-temps-a72520

5 Likes

Prime rib goes under the knife, or slicing machine I mean.

6 Likes

Mmmmm!

What did ever happen to imaginative food combinations?

12 Likes

Smoked duck breast:

The rub was a paste made with equal parts five spice, ground ginger, and garlic powder; black pepper, soy sauce. I scored the skin side then seared it to render the fat, then put it out on the smoker at 250 for 1.5 hours.

It’s medium to medium-well because that’s how my family prefers it, but it was still quite tender.

18 Likes

I picked a pretty pepper! ( from farmers market )

13 Likes

anyone else having black eye peas today (1 January)?
made hoppin’ john for the mum and me. bring on the better days, we did our (traditional southern, culinary) duty and had our share of black eyes!
we even got to share in a Haitian tradition with friend, DJ, of his mum’s soup joumou! fantastic! and what a story behind that tradition!

11 Likes

i’ve never cared much for field peas but i like to use black-eyes in my vegetable beef soup. and of course, being from texas, i do eat a spoonful on new year’s.

7 Likes

Good crisp on that skin!

2 Likes

Japanese New Year specialties. My morning brunch.

The box is a small osechi. A combination of traditional cooked/preserved foods for the occasion. Simmered root veggies, fried chicken, fish cake, thin sliced beef, sugar cured black soybeans…

The soup is ozoni a simple bonito broth with chicken bits, carrot, daikon, mizuna and broiled mochi (rice cake).

12 Likes

Happy New Year!

We did a mini-version of our traditional New Year’s Day get together. Firstly, it was outside and socially-distanced. Secondly, we skipped many of the traditional dishes that usually get passed around from person-to-person. But we did have ozoni. Interesting the differences. Likewise, a simple bonito broth with mochi and vegetables, but my family puts a big, whole prawn in there instead of chicken.

Oh, and this year one variety of the fish cake was heavy on the garlic. I liked it very much. :heart_eyes:

11 Likes

New Year’s day dinner:
Sous-vide Tri-Tip
Espagnole sauce
Roasted cauliflower
Burrata caprese

I took @Ryuthrowsstuff’s advice to make a darker, crispier crust. Yes, sir, you are correct. Thank you for that feedback earlier.

9 Likes

Goddamn. When all this is over, I hereby invite you+1 to our house for dinner, which is a simple, transparent, ulterior motive ploy to get invited to yours for THAT stuff!

8 Likes

For once, I didn’t prepare anything. Our hosts did. I just brought some wine and an appetite!

7 Likes

Ooh I have to tell the wife about using a prawn.

She makes such a big deal of looking for boneless chicken with the skin on. If I can’t get to the Japanese grocer for boneless legs, I buy chicken thighs from the regular one and just remove the bone.

We would do our own version of the osechi platter when I invited family over for New Years. We would buy the traditional ingredients/fish cake and make kara age and tempura to pad it out.

I wish I could have done a safe get together but my mom’s condition makes it too risky.
This year we just ordered a small platter.

I am so glad you were able to pull it off this year. It sounded fun.

6 Likes

It was good to get together, even if we had to half-yell because of masks and distance. The rain held off just long enough for everyone to get a chance to eat, drink, and talk.

5 Likes

That sounded fun.

I hope you and your family have a happy healthy new year.

4 Likes