Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Still working our way through the butternut squash from this year’s garden and made a yummy pasta bake last night, using up a bunch of random fridge goodies.
Browned some onions and peeled, cubed squash with fennel seed, oregano, salt & pepper, then added chicken broth to soften. Spiced up some tomato sauce with garlic and red peppers, then added that, a bit of leftover heavy cream, a pound of cooked penne pasta and about 8 oz shredded cheddar to the Dutch oven. Oh, and 2 links of sweet Mediterranean lamb sausage from our local purveyor! Mixed this all up, topped with a bit of reserved cheese, and threw under the broiler for a few minutes.
I thought about adding jalapeños, but all we had were pickled so I left them as a garnish for the table.
It was all really good! The squash and sausage lend a bit of sweetness, and the cheese and obligatory peppers and hot sauce give the spice/savory bit.
Good thing it came out tasty, because it made a lot for a household of 2!

8 Likes

That sounds like amazing cold-weather comfort food!

5 Likes

At this point, comfort is not having to put on pants with a non-elastic waist, but yes, it is yummy on these cold, dark nights. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Instant Coffee in a pinch.
Okayokayokay… I am a small coffee snob?
Yes, I grind my own beans for every cup. I do not roast them myself l like Peet’s.
I do have a backup plan if I run out of beans usually a Peet’s micro ground instant.
I recently read an article about the Korean love of coffee and saw this brand KANU recommended.
Not overly complex, yet a nice flavor and super easy.

9 Likes

My interest is piqued. What form does it take? How is it brewed?

5 Likes

It come in little aluminum foil pouch the size of a stick of gum.
You can tear the pouch open and pour the dried coffee into a cup and add hot water.
Instant coffee!
I am thinking of adding it to a chocolate peanut butter recipe I am working on.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Coffee Cookies
These batch tried to escape!

9 Likes

Cool, if unintentional, result! It almost looks like a TMNT cookie.

6 Likes

A very untypical turkey leg gumbo-started out as turkey legs with a honey+garlic glaze, but they didnt end up with much flavor so I sautéed some sausage and shrimp, celery and peppers in bacon fat and stirred it in. Served it over a six grain blend I get at the Japanese market.

6 Likes

12 Likes

that sits in a surreal borderland between really cute and totally creepy.

6 Likes

:rofl:

5 Likes

Instantly search 2 million recipes
This search engine pulls from more than 2 million recipes that you can filter by ingredients. I’m not a step-by-step recipe follower, but this is great for discovering variations of a recipe and inspiration for ingredients I hadn’t thought of. I’m also impressed that it found two different recipes for my parent’s homeland dish: [Sopa Tarasca]
— CD

7 Likes

Korean instant coffee is pretty damn good for instant coffee.

If you’re not in a place that sells Korean instant coffee, and you happen to see Mount Hagen brand instant coffee on the shelves, it is very competently done and tasty. Smooth. Flavorful. Rich.

https://www.vitacost.com/mount-hagen-organic-fair-trade-instant-coffee-3-53-oz-2

Infinitely preferable to standard brewed “American” coffee from a commercial Bunn or a plastic Mr. Coffee maker.

5 Likes

So cool! I do have a few Korean stores locally and will check, thank you for the tip.

3 Likes

I can second your positive review of Mount Hagen brand instant coffee.

(I’ve bought it in the past from my food co-op, which pretty much only stocks nicer foods. They have lots of nice and special coffee beans—fair-traded, farmer-owned, ecologically sound, locally-roasted, etc.—and Mount Hagen is the one instant coffee that they stock. Although I’ve made pour-over coffee for the last 40 years, for some reason I went through a spell of being too busy/lazy, and relied on the Mount Hagen instant for a while.)

6 Likes

[Alan Partridge voice]
Look, I’m sure Korean instant and this Mount Hagen stuff is all very nice but we all know that there is only one proper brand of instant coffee…
[end Alan Partridge voice]

Bringing this post vaguely on-topic rather than just indulging in crap jokes and nostalgia:

Recent events and weather led me to make:

Grog

In mug, combine:

teaspoon of honey,
juice of one lemon,
rum in volume depending on amount of time spent watching the news, reading twitter or listening to talk radio and on the outside temperature;

Add tea (commence argument about best kind of tea and how to make it).

9 Likes

I think that’s part of why the Dalgona Coffee thing got such a weird reaction once it hit anglophone instagram.

American instant coffee pretty much tops out at Nescafe and International Delight. Where as in many other parts of the world there is actually pretty damn good instant coffee.

The other one being it’s essentially a nostalgia play to something very specifically Korean. And without that connection it’s not really doing much for you besides looking pretty on social media.

6 Likes

Organic Farmers Market in SF today. So cool to find tiny ‘Tokyo Turnips’.
image|500x500

7 Likes

I know those turnips well!
Really good!
Nice find.

I can eat them raw sliced paper-thin, with a wee swipe of miso (white or red), all day.

The greens are nice, chopped coarsely and stir-fried in a neutral-tasting oil with garlic, onion, ginger and pinch of sea salt or tamari.

5 Likes

We get those in the spring at our local farmers market, too. Tell me more about the miso; you just spread some on the slices straight out of the tub?

I usually just sprinkle a little sea salt on them.

4 Likes