Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Great idea! Your link to a map is very interesting. Indeed. I think there it a restaurant in Berkeley that only serves Indigenous peoples food. I see if I may find it.

4 Likes

Watched ‘Roadrunner’ last night. Not sure if I learned anything new. But the old photos and friends talking about him was almost tearful at times. Yes I miss Anthony Bourdain.

10 Likes

Cool, please post if you do! I’m far from there, but have friends out there I’d share it with. And Mr. Linkey is going out there for work next month, so maybe he can check it out.
When I lived in DC I really loved going to the cafeteria of the Native American museum for lunch. They have all native menus, buffets split out by region.

5 Likes

I found it!

7 Likes
8 Likes

God, now he’s getting involved as well!
This whole thing is so overblown. They removed currywurst from the menu of one of the cafeterias on site. There’s literally, literally, one right next to it that still serves it.

But of course the culture warriors had to storm the comment sections and the newspaper columns to complain about the green agenda and vegan genocide.

13 Likes

Schröder always got priorities right, didn’t he…

I do like VW’s own special curry ketchup, though. A former colleague from Wolfsburg (the only one in her family not working at VW) used to bring a bottle occasionally.

6 Likes

Oh, man, I haven’t thought about curry wurst in ages and now I’m so hankering for it. Had the best ever in Flensburg in…2001 or 2002. I just tried to find the place on a map, but don’t know if it’s still there or what the name was. Alas.

8 Likes

I’m home on break, which means…baking!

Rhubarb snack cake - was advertised as being “almond” cake, but it only had 1/4c almond flour in it…so not a whole lotta almond going on in the finished product. Not my favorite recipe, but I was in a pinch and made the first thing I could find that used the ingredients I had on hand. The rhubarb was from my yard :slight_smile: I learned the lesson that when attempting pretty herringbone rhubarb one should try to use similarly sized stalks. Whoops.

Also, being home means I once again have access to a grill! Whipped up some teriyaki chicken thighs last night and now I have some steak fajitas marinating for tonight (unless the skies open up like they’re supposed to, in which case I’ll make up some black bean/sweet potato burgers instead)

13 Likes

Gerhard Schröder complained that the dish was being removed from the menu at the Volkswagen plant in North Germany. VW wants to introduce more plant-based options.

But…but…it was plant-based!
(I’ll see myself out.)

10 Likes

I make my own these days - if you scroll way, way up in this thread to, I don’t know April 2020 or so, you can find a picture of it.

7 Likes

Found forbidden sea weed today!
Postelsia palmaeformis or Sea Palm.

It is illegal to harvest Postelsia in British Columbia, Washington and Oregon. In California, Postelsia is a partially protected species.

But I did not Harvest it. I found several fresh palms washed up on the beach.

I am soaking and rinsing it in tap water to rid it of ‘Critters’ like many tiny Goose neck Barnicles and snails.
I will dry it in a dehumidifier tomorrow.

strong text

9 Likes

What. The actual. FUCK.

11 Likes

It sounds quite good! Like a fancy, sweet/savory pig in a blanket:

“It’s got to be a really good hot dog, and it’s got to be a pie crust: it can’t be phyllo dough or a biscuit,” he explained. “We’re going to treat the apple pie as more of a condiment, like a relish. Then we’ll add some bacon jam in there, and a sweet-and-savory mustard.”

The real question: is it a sandwich?

10 Likes

Hard pass; it looks like a hot dog had a baby with a pop tart.

12 Likes

Awwwww…it’s so cuuute!

And now I’m thinking we should call a wrap sandwich a swaddle…

6 Likes

Or a dog laid down a poop tart, lol.

4 Likes

Colbert ate one in one of his monologues this week…

Around 8 minutes in…

8 Likes

How else do you think I heard about it?

*lolz

7 Likes

Ah! Of course!

Still. Others might have missed it.

7 Likes