Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Improvised soba.

17 Likes

That looks fantastic! I have not had breakfast yet, and now want this for my first meal. Cheers!

7 Likes

Thanks. I made it in a hurry with what was left in the pantry and the fridge and about to expire.

8 Likes

I should probably know this, but what are those “ring thingies”? fish cake? plantain? pineapple? something only available in Brazil?

7 Likes

Oh no. It is a japanese food, a fish cake called chikuwa. I’ve bought it for my mother-in-law but I never had the opportunity to cook.

11 Likes

that was my first guess. looks like you seasoned and tossed them with scallions.
that looks really good@

8 Likes

You were right!

I forgot how to cook it.

So I sauteed some onion and garlic. Then I added mirin, soy sauce, hondashi and water. I simmired it a little and spread the chopped chives over the fishcake.

I served the soba noodles with seasoned eggs and a chilled soy dashi broth.

I pretty sure a japanese chef died when made it

11 Likes

Oh boy! I am going to try the egg recipe next.:egg: Thank you.

6 Likes

The Brazilian “thanks, Penney’s” (ask your sister). Take your praise! That looks amazing and if you just subbed in rice noodles so us coeliacs could eat it…

7 Likes

Beef short ribs were on sale; I bought 4 lbs (1.8kg).

I’ve never cooked beef short ribs before. Need help, please. Anyone care to share cooking tips, favorite ways to prepare, recipes?

7 Likes

The most common way is to braise them. Do you have a smoker? That would be another approach.

9 Likes

On the new gas grill today, marinated quail.

I am always surprised at how filling these tiny birds are.

8 Likes

Many years ago, we bought a refurbished deep fryer, and potato chips were one of the first things we tried.
Mandoline sliced thin, into ice water, pat dry, fry, salt, enjoy! Or do as my husband does, just thinly slice with a knife and immediately throw into the fryer.

Of course oven baked would be healthier.

8 Likes
8 Likes

A real deep frier would definitely be the best. I think if you can maintain a high enough oil temperature and do small batches, the result is not oily. Thank you.

6 Likes

No smoker, so braising then.
Thanks!

8 Likes

If you have an Instant Pot, you can use it for braising, but I find the old school method does give a better result.

5 Likes

The chicken tenders thread reminds me of a recipe I haven’t made in a while, but now I have a hankering. It’s called Cajun Coconut Chicken.
My dad made it at his restaurant. You coat a chicken breast liberally with Cajun seasoning. Mix softened butter, brown sugar and shredded coconut and press onto one side and plop down in a hot pan. While that side cooks, press the butter mixture over the other side. Flip and cook til done. Pour the caramelized goodness over the top. Serving with rice gives you extra stuff to soak up the spicy sweetness.
I don’t use non-stick cookware, so I’ve since modified to use tenders or breasts and bake in the oven. The coating still gets all gooey, but it doesn’t cause a headache for cleaning my cast iron.

10 Likes

I received my Kickstarter reward of I lighter weight cast iron pan. I have a lot of cast iron, some more than 1 hundred years old. Once seasoned correctly they work great.
I will look forward to trying out the new kid.
Cheers

14 Likes

Very nice, but also slightly disappointing - from something called buccaneer I’d have expected something like this:

14 Likes