Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

If I were to use the phrase, “spankin‘ the panna cotta bunny” everyone would be sure it was a euphemism, but not really sure what for.

16 Likes

ezgif.com-gif-maker - 2022-01-30T210013.010

10 Likes

This may become my new specialty—chocolate cookies made from a brownie mix :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I’m known for scratch baking, but… Several different people on the bbs have praised Ghirardelli brownie mix over the last few years (including just recently in the Dolly Parton cake mix topic) so I decided to give it a try. I agree, it’s pretty good, very much like standard homemade brownies. And not instantly recognizable as being from a mix. Maybe not as good as my all-organic-and-fresh-as-possible-ingredients scratch brownies, but decent enough.

I started to wonder if I could use it to make brownie-like cookies. I didn’t really feel like doing a bunch of experimenting, so I wondered…might someone on the internet have tried doing that? LOL!! Of course someone has, silly zfirphdn :laughing: It’s totally a thing, it’s all over the internet. Of course. What was I thinking. I need to get out more.

(You add ¼ cup of flour and a second egg, and omit the water.)

13 Likes

I call them chocolate meringue cookies. When my kids were in school, it was the number one requested cookie by their friends. So easy and so yummy.

12 Likes

Needs a sound effect:

4 Likes

Try cooking them on a waffle iron for an even better treat.

6 Likes

Oh My God Omg GIF

9 Likes

Farmers market finds.
Kishu Mikan a type of Japanese tangerine with eatable skin!
Tokyo Turnips ( white ones ) and a radishes that taste like turnips!

10 Likes

What the skins on the oranges taste like… anytime I’ve ended up with some of the peel in my mouth it’s just bitter…

6 Likes

Oops, I mean to add the skins are more like Kumquats. A tiny bit tart, but the inside is so sweet! Thank you.

10 Likes

Sesame Street Reaction GIF by HBO Max

I wonder if I can find them locally…

10 Likes

I made a Northwest tribute to the blackened grouper sandwitch.

A nice thick lingcod filet coated with Penzey’s Northwoods seasoning & Potato starch, sautéed in hot butter.

Swiss cheese
Homemade tartar sauce
Fresh-pickled onions
Buttered and toasted sourdough rounds
Butter lettuce

15 Likes

Season 3 Candy GIF by Paramount+

10 Likes

Cast iron skillet testing.

14 Likes

No pics, but been enjoying some delicious, fresh seafood here on the SC coast. Had triggerfish for the first time this weekend. Baked with some buttery breadcrumbs, truly wonderful. Better than haddock, IMO.
Also made crab cakes from fresh jumbo lump crab, served on a toasted brioche bun with some remoulade and red onions. Fresh as fresh can be!

16 Likes

<— jealous!

9 Likes

Well, I haven’t caught any of my own yet, so the jealousy goes both ways :wink:
But, yes, it’s pretty great!

8 Likes

20 posts were split to a new topic: Sake and other Asian alcoholic beverages

I went down the pizza rabbit hole, (thanks @navarro) and had the husband dig up the Weber vegetable grill thing, which is stainless steel and has holes in it and might sub as a pizza steel. I tried it last night, following the technique and recipe recommended by Ruth Reichl in her La Briffe newsletter. (The Pizza That Changed My Life - by Ruth Reichl - La Briffe)

I made a lot of dough with the only 00 flour we could find, Delillo’s. This is the result of one of the 10 dough balls.

It was almost as good as a wood-fired oven bake. The dough was crispy and soft, the flavor was there from the fermented dough, and although I was surprised by how much dough there was (I had to switch to my biggest bowl to add all the flour) I’m glad I have those babies in the freezer.

18 Likes

Do Want Scooby Doo GIF

8 Likes