Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

I understand. I absolutely do that as well. Yum!

5 Likes

Keep cauliflower scraps in a second bag. Blended into soup or gravy, it’s a fantastic thickener. Adds a lot of body without a lot of calories. Bonus if you’re avoiding too much wheat.

10 Likes

Following the earlier discussion about pepper grinders kicked off by @chgoliz, here’s a tip for those collecting statements of the blindingly obvious. Regardless of the type of grinder, don’t forget to check if the top’s screwed on.

That’s green capsicum (and caraway!) shakshuka under those peppercorns. I scraped most off but still ate many more than I would have chosen.

ETA should have been @milliefink!

9 Likes

For the record, I was responding to @milliefink’s request for opinions on grinders:

4 Likes

Will edit to add!

3 Likes

'Twas mine, as well! (The recipe does indeed work well with some andouille diced in, but I left it out this time. At Christmas I’ll attempt a gluten-free version so four more can eat it.)

4 Likes

I’m probably way late to the game here, but I’ve gone through the pepper mill…um…mill, and come out the other side. This is where I landed:

I really like the electric grinder. When I’m cooking, I want to be able to add pepper to taste with one hand (the other hand for lifting pot lids, stirring, adding salt, etc). I had one with a button for a while, but it couldn’t cut the mustar…pepper. This one’s been going strong for a couple years now. Just turn it upside down and it starts grinding. Turn it right side up and it shuts off. No button. Plenty of capacity.

6 Likes

I use these Turkish Handmade Copper Coffee Salt Pepper Spice Grinder Mill (22cm, Autentic) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HMPXK23/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_q1Y5DbMVW4CY6

2 Likes

Just like Jeff Smith.

1 Like

The Frugal Gourmet! Yep.

1 Like

well, leave us hope not just like Jeff Smith…

5 Likes

17 Likes

It’s okonomiyaki time.

Ooh, that’s a bit dark. Have to cover that up.

10 Likes

New one to me. Rojeek, Armenian treat.
strong text

strong text

7 Likes

do i eat that . . . or have i already?

9 Likes

The former, I’d say, since you’re definitely not the type to have a stick up yer arse.

7 Likes

“Oh, the humanity!!” Although, for what it’s worth, I actually love Hawai’ian pizza, unholy conglomeration of cultures that it is.

9 Likes

Need to gif up that last one. Happy waving bonito flakes!

8 Likes

My two favorite variations on Hawai’ian pizza are to swap the ham for bacon, and the rarely-seen version that adds almond slivers and a shake of cinnamon.

I’ve also had it with a sort of BBQ sauce instead of red sauce.

4 Likes

Looking for rocks in French lentils.

10 Likes