Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Esp since it is missing a thin mint.

5 Likes

Moving ‘Meaning of Life’ back up to my re-watch stack; I miss it.

3 Likes

Looks like a moray eel. Didn’t know they were edible.

3 Likes

& @docosc

Just wait until it looks like this!

9 Likes

mmm unagi don.

6 Likes

Looks delicious. My response was to the aberration above your post, the urp Christmas Tinner.

6 Likes

A simple but delicious honey vinaigrette salad dressing:

• Mix 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 cup (preferably organic) cider vinegar. Stir until the honey is dissolved.
  • Pour into shaker bottle.
  • Add one cup vegetable oil.
  • Shake well when serving.
5 Likes

You’ve reminded me that I have to thaw the tilapia we picked up last week.

4 Likes

Sorry! My bad!

That said, I don’t envy anyone the job of filleting moray eel.

6 Likes

Yeah it did not go that great. Does not help that our hotel provided us only a large kitchen knife, definitely the wrong tool for the job.

8 Likes

Heard about this on NPR this week:

They were also able to isolate food from the gum; duck with hazelnuts

My first thought was, “Recipe? Ancient Danish Duck with Hazelnuts?”

11 Likes

When I travel home for Christmas, my mom typically has the meals all planned out, and cooking space is at a premium, so I contribute where I can; last year I made traditional New England desserts of Indian Pudding and Grape-Nut Pudding. They both turned out nicely but I think they were seen more as curiosities to poke at than tasty desserts (especially the Grape-Nut Pudding).

7 Likes

That is really a New England thing. Not only is it almost entirely unknown outside New England, I’ve only had it at a couple places in New England.

7 Likes

Yeah, it’s getting harder to find. It’s one of those “traditional” dishes like baked beans & brown bread that you only see at restaurants specializing in that sort of thing these days. It’s a nice molasses-y pudding that’s good with ice cream.

7 Likes

Wow, it looks like a perfect winter dessert. With the molasses and the spices I can imagine a warm lovely smell, like old fashioned gingerbread. A recipe to save for winter!

5 Likes

Christmas in Australia (and New Zealand) means pavlova. Our general split of duties means I do savoury stuff and my wife is in charge of dessert, and this is her Christmas Eve pav.

Recipe from here, but with fruit substitution. As per the recipe, the all-passionfruit version is fantastic, but you can use any fruit as long as you’re using fruits with good acidity to balance the meringue and cream.

The basic meringue is simple enough, but the trick is to get the right balance of crunchy crust and soft inside. If you buy one ready-made from the supermarket they’re typically mostly soft, like a melt-in-the-mouth marshmallow, but home made ones will have a greater proportion of crunchy meringue outside. You can vary that by cooking time and temperature. We like more crunch but still with a layer of soft meringue.

(ETA more explanation)

10 Likes

Onion soup.

Or rather the onion part of onion soup.

8 Likes

4 lbs. Prime rib roast. Pan seared, 250* oven for 4 hours. Internal temperature was 125* when removed and tented to cool.

image image

9 Likes

We did a 21lb one today. Some one turn off the oven at hour 4…

2 Likes

I heard of a method of cooking at 500* for an hour and turning off the oven and let it set until it reaches the correct internal temperature.

1 Like