Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Ladies and Gentlemen - I give you:

14 Likes

Cooked up a batch of stir-fry tonight:

I used about a pound of steak (eye of round), a two-pound bag of frozen stir-fry vegetables, a cup of roasted peanuts, the seasoning packet in the vegetables, a Szechwan seasoning mix I had on hand, a few dashes of habanero sauce to jazz it up a bit, and some brown rice to accompany it.

That makes a big enough batch for a good five dinners or so for me.

11 Likes

Coalfish and customized potato salad.
Green salad with homemade vinaigrette.
No digestif today - bit of a migraine today; the pills work but I don’t mix them with alcohol.

11 Likes

Baked doughnuts with brown butter glaze, and assembled four pans of lasagna. One to eat, one to freeze, two to deliver to friends. Today will probably be orange vanilla brioche from the cookbook Bread Alone and chocolate pudding. Almost time for another loaf of plain sourdough.

12 Likes

By the time I get back from feeding my kids on Sunday – one state away – that’s exactly what I was thinking to do: just a plain and simple sourdough boule for me, myself and I.

7 Likes
4 Likes

Wow, that list is completely wrong (for me). I use capers on the regular. I just pulled some broth out of the freezer that’s been there for most of a year for beef stroganoff last night. I’ve gone through two bags of flour so far, and I wish I had dried chickpeas so I could rehydrate them and use them for homemade hummus.

6 Likes

I whipped up some of Bon Appetit’s Smoky Carrot Dip last night and it was a-mazing. I ate it warm on some grilled, olive oiled baguette and it gave me all of the happy veggie feels. It’s really good cold, too. I’m planning on putting a scoop on salad for lunch today (along with some marinated french lentils that have been sitting in my frig for a few days). I took pictures of the dip but…its really just glorified orange paste and my mediocre food photography skills didn’t do it justice.

If you have a bunch of carrots that need eating, this is a great way to use them up! I’d suggest making a half batch to start: the full batch made about 5 cups. I’m experimenting with freezing half, hopefully it survives.

6 Likes

Oh, wow. I’m going to have to try that. I just need to find a substitute for chick peas - I can’t find any. Maybe canned white beans? And I’ll roast the carrots in the smoker. Yum.

5 Likes

Canned white beans should work super well, but you might have to adjust the amount of lemon juice that you use because they have more moisture than garbanzos. You could also probably substitute the almonds with a different nut if you wanted, too. I was expecting it to be more hummus-y than it is, but I think that the chickpeas are more for texture than taste.

(Also, uh, why can’t I write m0ist? Did someone with an irrational hatred of that word write the code for bb?)

6 Likes

Yes, m0ist is a restricted word on BoingBoing. No, I don’t get it either, other than it being a decades-long running joke. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Consider the source. (I don’t mean @FGD135.)

4 Likes

Speaking of, I just looked and I do still have that big jar of tahini, in the very back of the fridge. All I know for sure is that I purchased it sometime during Obama’s second term.

I had ultimately given up on making hummus at home. After 30 years of trying I still don’t think I get it right. The store brand from Whole Foods (until they changed the recipe quite recently) and the Classic from Trader Joe’s both came as close to the real thing* as I’d ever tried (at least for store-bought), and they’re both way better than mine, did not start to go bad after a couple days (not that either would last that long as opposed to the giant batch I’d make), etc.

*Where “real thing” means “the first I ever tried,” which was the old Falafel House in Arlington, TX back in 1988. Most hummus I’ve eaten since then has suffered by comparison. Lebanese Taverna in the DC area is sometimes good but, I think, inconsistent.

4 Likes

I’ve been making navy beans, or what the recipe calls haricot* beans, for breakfast. I double this recipe (except maybe the onion; I just use a 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes in lieu of fresh ones):

Israeli Breakfast Beans
“This is a popular breakfast dish in various parts of the Middle East. It has apparently been adopted as the Israeli army’s favourite breakfast.”
8 oz. (225g) haricot (navy) beans, soaked overnight and drained
4 large tomatoes, skinned & chopped
2 tablespoons butter or oil (I use olive)
1 large onion, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste (we have berbere on hand at home and I throw in some of that, too)

Cover the beans in cold water, boil, reduce heat and simmer covered until tender (about 1 hour). Heat the butter or oil in a frying pan and cook the onions until soft and transparent. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Strain the beans and discard the cooking liquid (or save for other use). Salt the beans and combine with the onion & tomato mixture. (Adapted from Middle Eastern Vegetarian Cookery by David Scott, ISBN 0712652620)

*I’d thought that haricot beans were green beans, but those are haricots verts. As far as I know haricot beans are navy beans. Adding to the confusion is that my wife calls green beans fasoulia in Amharic. That’s apparently from the Greek word, but in this same cookbook, Greek fasoulia is also navy beans.

7 Likes

14 Likes

Mini naan flatbread with cheddar, smoky carrot dip, and lentils. I’m calling this the “clean out the frig” lunch special.

14 Likes

Yum! That looks really similar to something I make with cannelini beans. I need to branch out and try haricot/navy beans. Thank you for the suggestion!

3 Likes

Simple meat sauce. Two types of Italian sausage out of It’s casing and browned in pan. Remove from pan add chopped onions to pan until translucent add chopped tomatoes and simmer for a while and then add back sausage and simmer forever or until you cannot stand the aroma and eat it on everything.

14 Likes

Pumpkin seeds in this one.

16 Likes

Oh, yeah, doin’ it right. Looks delicious!

4 Likes