Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

oh yes it does! I just chipped a tooth!

trying to bite my phone!

7 Likes

No, no, no. Wiener Schnitzel is veal. No substitutes.

6 Likes

Wait, what now?

3 Likes

How I wish I could get veal in this country! (Or even good quality pork)

3 Likes

Mashed potato a quash. You roast it and scoop it out and if you do it right, it sort of has the consistency and look of mashed potatoes.

3 Likes

I mean, I had assumed it was potato squash, roasted. It’s just that I had never heard of such a vegetable. What a weird and wonderful world of variety.

4 Likes

in my family’s experience, the best way to get high quality pork has been to raise the animal ourselves or go into a cooperative arrangement with someone else to cover the cost of feed. that we we have control over both the nature of the feedstocks and the conditions under which the animal is raised.

3 Likes

Unfortunately my living situation isn’t conducive to raising pigs. The problem is that I’m from a region of the world where high quality pork was available at every butcher’s while where I live now not only isn’t really a pork culture, but also there are only very few and very expensive butchers around.

4 Likes

that is unfortunate. i grew up on a farm and we produced 66-75% of the meat we ate. while i no longer live on the farm i have friends and acquaintances who do.

4 Likes

Pork is often substituted in German American communities because it long been far cheaper here. My grandfather’s family was Bavarian and he grew up in a German immigrant community in NYC. Weiner Schnitzel always referred to pork, it’s sort of the name transferring onto the more common schnitzel.

I just wish I could find a decent German butcher. Pork cutlets here tend to be from the wrong part of the pig. THANKS Italians.

5 Likes

Spätzle! I love that stuff. The first time we made it at home was like an episode of I Love Lucy, every dish in the house ended up dirty as we worked to figure out what would work best to squish the batter through.
I will miss the Christmas markets in Berlin this year.* :slightly_frowning_face: we usually go every couple years to visit family and friends, and the truffle-oil Spätzle is a real treat.
*”first world problem,” I know, but still a bummer.

9 Likes

Yes, my Mom have that attachment on her Mix -Master! Great idea.

3 Likes

Teriyaki short ribs, pan-fried udon noodles and asparagus. Got the makings for eggs Benedict, but first I have to bake the English muffins.

11 Likes

While that would be my preference as well, I’ve had Wiener Schnitzel from pork (schwein) in Vienna, so I don’t think the modern definition is nearly so proscribed.

3 Likes

It is literally proscribed. It’s got a PGI in bits of Europe and veal is required. But you add schwein to the name in some fashion to indicate it’s pork Weiner Schnitzel and you’re cool.

9 Likes

No you did not. This is regulated due to consumer protection laws.
You had Schnitzel nach Wiener Art (or something along those lines), which may be pork, chicken, turkey, mystery meat, puffball, tofu, vegan mystery “meat”… anything that can be breaded and fried, really.
And even having it in Vienna isn’t a loophole.

8 Likes

Correct. If that’s enough to make a stink about it, yippee. Meanwhile, you might want to dial it back a bit. Be cool.

1 Like

Perfection.

8 Likes

Started out to make English muffins-prequel to the eggs Benedict. Got the dough ready, shaped and on the griddle. Grabbed a too heavy object to keep them flat, and ended up with very very thin, very very flat muffinish breads. Luckily I had frozen most of the rounds, so I will try again tomorrow.

10 Likes

English tortillas!

6 Likes